Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jun-2009, 11:13
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I cant remember if the fuel pump relay stops the engine from turning over on the 749.
If the starter solenoid is good,check the sidestand switch,neutral light switch and the clutch lever switch.They are all interlocked with the starting system.
(My Multistrada would'nt start once due to the neutral light switch being faulty.)Clutch switch does'nt often give trouble,unless the little paddle is bent or broken.
Old 22-Jun-2009, 19:59
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
not had time to have a look yet but i was wondering if one of the safty circits was to blame
Old 23-Jun-2009, 01:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn
not had time to have a look yet but i was wondering if one of the safty circits was to blame

When you've done that can you nip down here and have a look at my T8

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 23-Jun-2009, 19:48
Ducati Meccanica

we could both have a look at it.........
bet we couldn't fix it though
Old 21-Apr-2010, 23:35
Ducati Meccanica

o.k been nearly a year so time for an update. the problem went away, then came back at the w/e only did it the once but after a ride stopped back at home about 5 mins later went to start bike to put it away and it did it 5 times then worked. cant get it to do it again ??
to clariffy, imagine slightly older bikes that you have to hold the button in till it starts, well if you pressed the starter just quick like the engine would start to turn and then stop, that is what i are getting......odd
have checked all the things mentioned.
Old 22-Apr-2010, 01:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Glyn is this the same bike that gave you problems at the end of the Fools rideout a few years ago

As you say its acting as a old style starting system

Where as with the 749 System pushing the start button earths pin 28 of the ECU Body connector and providing there is 12V on Pin 27 from the Run switch (and 12 volts on Pin 38 from having the sidestand up***see comment below) and Providing pin 14 on the ECU Engine connector is Eathed via the neutral switch then Pin 1 of the ECU Body connector should earth the Starter Solinoid and keep it cranking until the speed of the engine is enough for the engine to be running then it removes the earth to Pin 1 and hence the Starter Solinoid

I can't see how the fuel pump relay effects it, Yes a faulty relay could stop it from starting but shouldn't prevent the engine cranking over

So A voltage drop from either the Run Button or sidestand switch or a poor connection on the neutral wire of a iffy neutral switch could cause a problem.

Although pulling in the Clutch lever should bypass the Neutral circuit providing the Clutch switch circuit is OK, my S2R currently has a broken wire to the clutch switch so will only start in neutral

***Not 100% sure about the sidestand needing to be up on the 749 as my S2R can start and idle on the sidestand, but on my 998 I fitted a small bypass harness, and I haven't owned a 749/999 or 848/1098 that use the Bi directional CAN system, although have worked on 1098 harness but thats connected to a Nemesis where you can do away with the interlocks easily enough.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 22-Apr-2010, 09:00
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I recently read about a poor starting 999 on another website.The cure was to remove the shim from the crank position sensor and run a new 'earth' cable from the battery to the back of the starter motor.
I would'nt recommend removing the shim yourself,...the gap between it and the crank flywheel needs checking by a dealer.Apparently if the gap is too wide it can send a weaker signal to the ECU when starting.You would'nt wanna try it yerself and mash the sensor now,would you??!!
Dunno if it will help but the 749/999 series bikes do seem to suffer from poor 'earthing'.It would'nt cost the earth,(did you see what I did there?),to run a bit of extra cable down to a mounting bolt from the battery.

Last edited by KeefyB : 22-Apr-2010 at 09:14.