Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Sep-2005, 19:24
Mille

Mood: I started life with nothing and still have most of it left
Which, 749s or 999

Right poeple, Which do I buy? I'm getting back into Duke's, last one 2000.
Can get 749s, 05 model, 3k miles £6500 or 04 999 1800 miles £8000.
Both mint.
What are the pro's and cons.
No extra's on either.
Do both have the ajustable seat unit ( I'm 6'5" ) and has anyone ever lowered the pegs?
Have I heard that there are problems with the sumps catching on some models (I'm 16 stone dry weight)
Help me guys, What do I do???
Cheers
G
Old 14-Sep-2005, 19:27
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
or you could get my 2004 749R for £9250
Old 14-Sep-2005, 19:29
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by electricsheep
or you could get my 2004 749R for £9250

Ahh .. you have learned well my young padewan

Old 14-Sep-2005, 19:42
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Adjustable seats only come on the monoposto bikes, not the bipostos. You haven't said which the two bikes are?

Do you like it grunty, or more revvy? The chassis' are the same on both (except the '05 749S has the newer style swingarm).

I haven't ridden a 999, but I have a 749S that suits me perfectly. I don't need the extra grunt of the bigger engine. Take them both out for a test ride and see which you prefer.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 19:44
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Now that 749R would be my choice

But if that's too much, you have to consider resale I guess...

05 749S new swingarm
04 999 old swingarm

I reckon the older swingarm will be a big loser in the resale stakes personally (hope no-one takes offence) but the 999 has more grunt, tough call.

There have been several reports of sumps grounding out, but that could be a number of things I guess, for your weight you'd probably need stiffer springs anyway so that would/should alleviate the issue I guess.

As for riding position, I'm not sure, it would be worth checking each one, the frame on my R is different to any other model with respect to rearset positions etc. I have my seat as far forward as possible to get more weight over the front and I'm 6ft tall.

Welcome to the board anyway, where are you in N. Wales? I often pop up to the Ponderosa on a Sunday for a quick blatt!

Oh look the bars open I'll have a pint of strongbow please
Old 14-Sep-2005, 19:49
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
No substitute for cubic inches, as they say.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 20:23
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
I've got a 03 749Bp and i can adjust the seat on it.I'm 6'2" and close to 16st. and have no problems with the pegs and until recently had the seat in the forward position.The looks are deceptive,it's actually quite roomy.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 00:16
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Sounds like your bip was originally a mono??? I'm sure only monos have moveable seats...
Old 15-Sep-2005, 00:37
Big Twin

I had an ST4S so was used to lots of grunt. I test rode a 749S with the intention of buying either that or a 999. This was back in 2003. I could have afforded either at the time.

Bottom line is that I fell in love with the 749S. It is not as revvy as I've heard 748 were (forgive me if that is incorrect, but that is waht I have been told). Putting a Termi can on did give it a stronger midrange though, or it seemed to. I love the handling on it, for a road bike it is prefect. If I 'lost' it, then I would probably have another. The ONLY time I have wished for more grunt is on a trackday.

I am sure others will say go for the 999, but I had an opportunity to "live with" the 749S for a day and take it around my favourite roads. I was immediately riding the bends faster and more confindently than on the ST4S that I'd had for a year.

That's my 4 penneth worth anyway.

Oh .... and the 749S might well be a good buy, IMHO.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 08:35
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by BIG-G
Right poeple, Which do I buy? I'm getting back into Duke's, last one 2000.
Can get 749s, 05 model, 3k miles £6500 or 04 999 1800 miles £8000.
Both mint.
What are the pro's and cons.
No extra's on either.
Do both have the ajustable seat unit ( I'm 6'5" ) and has anyone ever lowered the pegs?
Have I heard that there are problems with the sumps catching on some models (I'm 16 stone dry weight)
Help me guys, What do I do???
Cheers
G
As mentioned before;
Seats are only adjustable on the monoposto (single seat) models.I have'nt tried lowering the pegs,I'm quite happy as they are.
The sump "problem" only affects the deep sump bikes,ie 999R,999S and 749R.Saying that I'm similar weight to you and I have'nt had any problems with my 'S' sump grounding out.And thats taking in some fairly bumpy back roads and the odd humpback bridge.
I've ridden both 749S and 999 and to be honest,there aint a lot to choose between them.Either way you wont be disapointed.