Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Feb-2012, 07:40
Big Twin

Fuel Pump Problem Has me baffled?

Well this is now beyond me. After two days at Oulton Park I am still no better off in fixing this problem on the 996. I spent more time yesterday in the recovery truck LOL.

Set off and all is good then after 5 or 10 mins (sometimes less) the bike will misfire/refire and stop. Then the bike will not start, it turns over fine but the fuel pump doesn't run, sometimes makes an attempt to run but not as it should do. Leave it for a while and it will start and run fine. Completely predictable in it's unpredictability.

I have changed every relay/fuse/sensor/ecu/chip/regulator/pump/filter/coils in fact I think everything there is to change.
Only thing left is the harness? or magic dust.

Neil.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 09:09
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Do you have a spare pump you can try?.... These are similar problems to when my pump was playing up at Mallory in 2010 (on a 583, but even so). We replaced everything and wiggled every part of loom with engine running.... Eventually cured with new pump (mine had an elec pump on it). Mine would tickover fine and run fine for 5 laps... Then the gremlins would strike.

Or the tank breather?.... Run it with cap left slightly open. It is a long shot.... But just maybe enough of a vacuum could be formed to overpower the pump?
Old 22-Feb-2012, 10:28
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Neil you can borrow anything you need off my 916 try the complete tank with pump maybe?
Old 22-Feb-2012, 10:30
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I have a spare tank (my trackday tank) you can borrow if you want to eliminate/confirm it's a pump/breather/line problem?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 22-Feb-2012, 10:36
Big Twin

Thanks guys but I have had two different pumps and press regulators on the bike with no change. All pipes/hoses are clear and intact.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 12:05
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Is your vent valve fitted the correct way round? Are the vent hoses clear? Is the tank breather (the lines in the tank itself) clear? Are the fuel lines kinking when you replace the tank? Is there a kink in a fuel line futher down to the throttle bodies?

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 22-Feb-2012, 13:45
Big Twin

Yep all clear.
If the harness is a possible issue I was considering this.
The pump has a 12v feed when the ignition is turned on. The ECU then turns the earth on until the pump is up to pressure then turns it off. When the ECU gets a signal from the ignition sensor it turns the earth on again so the engine will run. So if I run a seperate fused/switched live from the battery to the pump and a seperate earth from the pump to the corresponding pin on ECU this in my mind would eliminate any of the existing wiring and possible problem?
Old 22-Feb-2012, 14:28
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Chafing wire. Had the wire on the fuel pump connector chafing on the top the engine on my 999.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 14:46
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Also try a new fuel pump relay?

Old 22-Feb-2012, 17:14
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
I was going to say it sounds like the Pump Neil as I have just replaced mine, I had the same symtons as you. Misfire then ok, then sometimes wont start then nothing wrong at all then finialy packed in all together on a ride out, ( even the mighty Skids did'nt carry one of those with him on a ride out )
But reading down it seems you have replaced the pump ?
Sorry that was not really helpful was it lol
Get the meter out and rattle shake the bike about to see if the readings change drasticaly.

Craig