Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 10-Dec-2009, 15:44
Bevel Head

Trip to France

Afternoon All

Two friends & I are planning a trip to France, near La Rochelle, next April. Probably 5 days over a long weekend.

Any general advice or specific tips about that area, where to ride etc. We are staying in my mates house so no need for accomodation unless we go for a long ride and stay over somewhere.

It's our first trip abroad so any advice very much appreciated, especially how to get more than 100miles out of my tank!

Regards

Mark.
Old 10-Dec-2009, 23:01
Mille

Irrespective of fuel range, take every opportunity to fill up.

Sundays and bank holidays can be problematic for finding open filling stations. Fuel stations are usually closed at lunch times (any day) which can be very long (12 -3pm?); make sure you dont need fuel between these times.

I go to France every year (on my 999) and love it. As an additional precaution, I carry a small (700ml ish) fuel bottle (like an aluminium water bottle but specifically designed for fuel) but have never had to use it yet.

Prior to obtaining the fuel bottle, I carried (still do) a device that I obtained from e-bay that's basically a syphon tube with an in-line hand pump. This allows you transfer fuel from one bike to another. I have used that device before - to help a Z1000 rider who ran out of fuel three times in one day!!!!! I've had a look on e-bay but they dont seem to have the device I do. If you put "emergency fuel pump" in the search window it finds a device similar to the one I have but, obviously, I cant vouch for them.

Enjoy your trip.

Ian
Old 10-Dec-2009, 23:13
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Dont know about that part of france but i totally agree about the fuel situation, even on an ST4S in 2007 we had some real nervous moments in the centre of france in the rain. That bike would do 160 miles before you got nervous but i still did a few times.
Enjoy,and yes i'm jealous.
Old 11-Dec-2009, 07:29
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Lot's of speed cameras!
Old 11-Dec-2009, 22:37
BSB Star

Mood: living my life to the full
Don't go wave diving. The bay of Biscay is well dodgy and the waves get very high and rough. I used to holiday on Ile d'Oleron and nearly drowned wave diving. Stick to biking the roads are safer

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit