Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2005, 19:59
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
999 seat height

Before you do any suspension mods to your bike, raise the height of the seat pad!!

Ive just done this, with the help of our Glyn, site seat expert, and what a cracking job hes done!!!

Seat pad raised 3/4" and covered in that nice suede look material, quality finish!

The effect it has had on the riding experience is nothing short of massive! From my uneducated perspective it has given so much more feel from the front end of the bike. It is so much more flickable.

Today at Silverstone most were taking a big swing at the stupis shicane. I was able to stop on the nose and turn in, before flicking over to exit. It is now as i remember my 998!
Old 24-May-2005, 20:50
Mille

Mood: On the mend!
What did you have done, as I'm thinking of this mod myself. Several on here have said it improves the feel from the front.
Old 24-May-2005, 21:13
888 at Last !!!

You mean just raise the seat without messing with the bike geometry and it improves the feeling of the front???
Old 24-May-2005, 22:10
BSB Star

Yup! as a rider YOU are part of the geometry, as in where your weight is biased to. Look at any race 999 seat, its raised, as in your bum finishes up higher which pushes you forward some.
Old 24-May-2005, 22:15
BSB Star

As someone else said, speak to Protwins, its the first thing they recommend! (and charge for it!!)

Speak to Glynn, he should be getting very proficiant at this............and reasonably priced
Old 24-May-2005, 22:51
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Glyn, how much for this service?
And do you guarantee that I'll stay in my (nice, newly-covered) seat over The Mountain at Cadwell? Thanks.
Old 24-May-2005, 23:20
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Could you not achieve the same effect by lowering bars on the fork legs??,that would put more weight further forward in a similar way to raising seat. lifting your body up raises c of g, the opposite of what Ducati did with the FO5 999 race bike where they moved rear of fuel tank lower down. very confusing.
Old 24-May-2005, 23:40
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Yup! as a rider YOU are part of the geometry, as in where your weight is biased to. Look at any race 999 seat, its raised, as in your bum finishes up higher which pushes you forward some.

Yeah, in a way you can say you're part of the geometry, but all that great difference just because of that.......
Did you had alrady raised your forks thru the yokes?
Did you made any other changes to the bike this time, or just that seat height mod?
Old 24-May-2005, 23:51
Big Twin

Isn't this the same as raising the ride height adjuster then?

Old 25-May-2005, 08:49
BSB Star

Perhaps geometry is the wrong word, and it would be better to treat the bike set up, ie where the forks sit in the yolk, the rear ride height as one thing, and where, in my case, you squat your gentle 15 stonnes.

I like to ask why also, or try to work out why proper race teams with all the expertise do things. In this case it works for me and is relatively cheap if you can persuade Glynn...