Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jun-2003, 11:04
Mille

Waranty invalidators?

I recently bought a filter from a main dealer who told me that if I changed the oil/filter on my 2002 748 that I could invalidate my warranty. This was an interim 3000 mile oil change, not a service.

What else can invalidate your warranty?

AFter market cans
Power commander
sidestand bypass
slipper clutch
open clutch cover
stainless/titanium bolts
non 'original' fittment tyres
carbon cam covers etc.

Seem also remember hearing that any 'race' bit are sold with no warranty.

Comments from you knowledgeable lot would be appreciated.
Old 23-Jun-2003, 11:08
Big Twin

The trick is to fit stuff in a way that lets you take it off with out leaving a trace...
They'd also have to show that your actions contributed to the fault, ie if you fit a powercommander and your subframe cracks I doubt they would be able to deny your claim

[Edited on 23-6-2003 by DJTera]
Old 23-Jun-2003, 11:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The rule with a lot of the accessories is that if it's DP stuff and your dealer fits it, then your warranty will be OK.
This is quite convienient as the DP stuff costs a fortune and the dealer charges a packet
technically, if you touch the bike yourself, or have an unauthorised body touch it, your warranty is void.
I can't see how changing the oil as an interim should matter though.
Old 23-Jun-2003, 12:02
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
I have already change the oil on my 998 at 2500 miles , no way was i waiting till 1 year & 4000 miles (so far) till the oil was done again !
I will see them in court if they have any probs with that !
But then i am a Engineeer by trade so i should be able to prove that i am Qualified to change the oil/filter plus i only use Ducati parts !
Old 23-Jun-2003, 16:10
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Doing your own maintenance could void your warranty, so the dealer's right.

The ultimate decision regarding voiding your warranty is Ducati's but if you read your warranty you'll see that Ducati's warranty is not predicated upon an authorized dealer performing all of your maintenance work nor does it require that the motorcycle remain in an unmodified condition or contain only factory parts during the warranty period.

However, if you have a claim during the warranty period it's reasonable for Ducati to suspect that inadequate maintenance and/or aftermarket parts had contributed to the failure. But legally they can't just void your entire warranty. They have to prove that the presence of non-factory parts or improper maintenance caused or contributed to the failure.

Conversely, there is an obligation and need that you keep records and receipts that can demonstrate that any maintenance work not performed by Ducati was done according to the service schedule and all replacement fluids met Ducati's specification.

To avoid any concerns, any performance parts that you install have to meet Ducati's specification as well. The only parts that meet this criteria are Ducati Performance parts and they have to be installed by an authorized dealer for the parts themselves to be covered under warranty and to avoid warranty issues on the motorcycle itself.

Consequently, if you decide to install any non-Ducati part or use a non-approved lubricant, fuel, or hydraulic fluid and you experience a related failure, expect a warranty challenge on a case-by-case basis. If you change your oil and filter yourself and later have an engine seizure determined by Ducati to be the result of inadequate lubrication you've got a problem.

So, even though a dealer cannot say that your entire warranty is void due to aftermarket pipes, you'll loose if you have an engine failure that can be traced to an excessively lean fuel condition caused by installing an incorrect Eprom for example.

Aftermarket parts usually carry their own warranty and often are of higher quality than OEM parts but still can cause problems if improperly installed, and it may be unwise to substitute a part (say a filter) simply because it's less expensive than the OEM unit.
Old 23-Jun-2003, 23:12
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Warrenty

Gretings Chaps!
I also asked my dealer about fitting parts and the warranty aspect. He replied that if a problem arrose then he would see if the fitting of aftermarket parts etc had made any impact or contributed towards the warrenty claim. I think/hope that any dealer would use his common sense in such matters, assuming he wishes to retain his customers etc