Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jun-2003, 20:33

front wheel bearings

Mine just 'went' on the way home from work this evening. All of a sudden there's lots of squeaking and grating and the front end shudders, then it's ok again for a while. What's the chances of me getting the 30 miles to Ducati Leeds on it without them collapsing ? How much can I expect to splash out to get 'em replaced d'you think ?
Most importantly, is it a quick job - I'm supposed to be doing an evening session at Cadwell tomorrow - is it a ride in/ride out fix it while you wait kind of job ?

Cheers,

Martin
Old 23-Jun-2003, 20:59
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
not sure about how much futher you could go on them, would stick to as slow a speed as possible, shouldn't take much more than 1/2 hour to change if the replacements are in stock.
Old 24-Jun-2003, 16:22
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
6005 2RS

Get to your local bearing supplier and get two of these, 6005 2RS, bearings and knock out the others and bob em in. Hour and half tops.

If you dont feel confident enough to do em, buy the bearings and get your local bike shop to fit em, £5 per wheel.
Old 25-Jun-2003, 00:21
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Hour and a Half Old Yella, no job on the pit crew for you. I was impressed when Karsten Scmidt's pit crew took 12 minutes to change his clutch in the Fomula 1 TT, as they regularly take part in the world Endurance championship they certainly know what they are doing.
Old 25-Jun-2003, 10:15
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
DO NOT RIDE WITH FAILED BEARINGS!

I've had a wheel bearing fail in a car whilst driving!

The failure of the bearing causes the axle and the hub to rub together which caused a massive amount of friction.

The friction causes heat and this high temperature is enough to result in the hub and axle "welding" together.

As the non-moving part is now welded to the moving part, the only thing that can happen is that the two will shear at the weakest point and the fused hub/axle will part company.

Luckily this happened to me at (only!) 20mph and the car slumped down at the back and the wheel bounced off down the road.

I'd hate to think what would happen if it was a front wheel of a bike!

As Old Yella says, use a bearing supplier to source some replacements and get a local garage to do it for you.

Don't risk it!
Old 25-Jun-2003, 16:37
Montjuic

Mood: Waiting for the Sunshine
I agree with Antoyne

I had a wheel bearing go on my car some years ago - a few miles later the wheel overtook my car !!

And it's relatively simple to fit the new ones if you have the right tools - a big screwdriver and an even bigger hammer !.