Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 26-Oct-2012, 19:03

fitting 916 style fairing

hi looking to build a track bike from a 94 900ss
and like the style of the racers fitted with 916 fairings and wondered what is involved in getting them to fit any ideas or pointers gratefully recieved
thanks
Old 13-Nov-2012, 10:10
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

I fitted some 848 fairings to a 620 ss and the principle is the same. Firtsly dont rush the job and measure, then re measure and then re measure again! Make sure you can operate all the controls and clearances falls within the acu guidlines.
Old 13-Nov-2012, 12:57
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
A 916/748 top fairing bracket with 4 spacers to eneable you to bolt it to the headstock of the SS. TYou will have to elongate the mounting holes in the bracket to get the correct centrtes for the SS headstock.

Offer up the Full fairing complete, and duct tape / suspend in place. Get the rear of the fairing as high up as you can - you may have to cut out for the exhaust to clear. Mark and drill holes for upper fairing dzus fasteners. Fit em.

Mark and drill holes for sides (use the exisitng SS mounting points) you may have to squeeze in the sides a bit - the 916 was a couple of inches wider.

There ya go. Well, maybe adding a bracket off the rear brake pedal mounting blts to stop the belly pan flopping around would be sensible.
Old 13-Nov-2012, 22:58
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker V2
A 916/748 top fairing bracket with 4 spacers to eneable you to bolt it to the headstock of the SS. TYou will have to elongate the mounting holes in the bracket to get the correct centrtes for the SS headstock.

Offer up the Full fairing complete, and duct tape / suspend in place. Get the rear of the fairing as high up as you can - you may have to cut out for the exhaust to clear. Mark and drill holes for upper fairing dzus fasteners. Fit em.

Mark and drill holes for sides (use the exisitng SS mounting points) you may have to squeeze in the sides a bit - the 916 was a couple of inches wider.

There ya go. Well, maybe adding a bracket off the rear brake pedal mounting blts to stop the belly pan flopping around would be sensible.

Pretty much how I did mine, although I made new alloy brackets for the side mounts bolting them to where the SS original side mounts attached to the frame. Starting with a piece of 25mm wide 2.5mm thick alloy sheet about 140mm long and , I bent up the last 25mm of each end to form a l_______________l shape, drilled a hole in the middle of each end bit one 6.4mm to bolt it to the frame the other 7mm so I could slide a Dzus fastener over it for attaching the fairing.
I also had crash bobbins fitted to the front engine mount, just long enough to protrude through the holes I drilled in the fairing sides, these would also ensure the fairing didn't drop as the were a close fit and the fairing weight was taken on these and not just the brackets.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 14-Nov-2012, 21:12
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoduey
hi looking to build a track bike from a 94 900ss
and like the style of the racers fitted with 916 fairings and wondered what is involved in getting them to fit any ideas or pointers gratefully recieved
thanks
Do you have the fairings yet or are you on the look out for some as I have a set for sale.

Andy
Old 14-Nov-2012, 23:05

many thanks for all help