Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Nov-2005, 12:01
Big Twin

How did you get on with 'that bolt' then Dave...any joy?
Old 01-Nov-2005, 19:26
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally posted by dave996
last one

I would put some diagonal braces in your framework to prevent it "parallelogramming" - there's nowt as strong as triangles when it comes to structural frameworks!

R X
Old 01-Nov-2005, 20:38
Mille

Mood: whatever!
Chaps,

Just a couple of thoughts with regards to shot blasting and powder coating my frame;
Do I need to preserve the small silver sticker on the right hand side of the frame (this details part of the chassis number) or can I 'lose' it?
Also is there a need to preserve the chassis number on the headstock during the same process as I am not sure whether it will get 'lost' or not, what do you think??
Regards Frazelli
Old 02-Nov-2005, 03:05
Montjuic

on the 916 type the frame extends down on to the swinging arm piviot.on the 888 it dose not,so on the 916 the swiniing arm stays atached to the frame with the engine removed.on the 888 with the engine removed you have the frame going one way,and the swining arm going the other,its only held togeather by the surspenion linkage.makes it interesting when refitting the engine.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 12:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
frazelli. I lost the sticker on my frame, it did worry me at first but I needed a new shiny frame more. with regard to the chassis number there was no need to cover that up. its quite deep any way and the shot should not affect it. just make sure you mention it to them so they can take it a bit more gently around that area
Old 02-Nov-2005, 12:44
Big Twin

Daft question time...

Looking at the swingarm spindle, there is a 'nut' at one end and an allen key head at the other.

With the nut removed off the RH end, does the bolt now need unscrewing or should it pull/push straight out. Just wandering if I need to get an allen key the right size or not? If I do , what size is it...I seem to remember 19mm, but don't know where from...may have just amde that up!:P
Old 02-Nov-2005, 12:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
it should just pull through but turning it will help it on it way.
if you have the tool kit that came with the bike the spark plug tool will fit it when turned upside-down, then put a socket over it
Old 03-Nov-2005, 19:38
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
How did you get on with 'that bolt' then Dave...any joy?

Sorry mate, been away on a training course (not Ducati)

Bolt came out dead easy no force or hacksaw needed.

Right,

I need to drain the clutch so I can remove the frame (and replace it with a Brembo jobbie) where is this done and how do you remove all the top yoke?

TTFN
Dave
Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:38
Big Twin

The top yoke is just the two pinch bolts on either side. Then it may need just a gentle tap from underneath to get it moving then it just pulls off the forks. If you mean the bottom yoke as well, then you need to undo the steering stem nut (the big one in the biddle of the yoke) and the stem and the bottom yoke will fall through the bottom of the steering head. Be a little carefull here as the steering head bearings have a habit of coming out with it...and they can be in a bit of a state and you can end up with ball bearings everywhere! This is obviously with the forks removed.

You should just be able to remove the current m/s for the clutch and put the new one on if you are carefull, without spilling too much fluid. Then just top it up and bleed it all through with fresh stuff. If its a brembo radial jobbie then you can bleed it at the top as well as the bottom by the slave cylinder.

Didn't bother taking my engine out in the end. I was able to strip everything off it in situ...and after trying to move the bolt without success...didn't see the point in pursuing it further as all I wanted to do is clean it!!!

Its looking sweet now though

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by Harv748]
Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:52
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
Cheers Harv.

Post some pics mate, Ill show you mine if you show me yours