Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Aug-2004, 10:45
Ducati Kip

749 DP slipper clutch?

Thinking of having Duc Performance slipper clutch fitted (had one on 748R missing it!!), anyone got one seen some posts saying they make grinding noise and need cleaning alot (guess this is with open cover?).

I'm also looking for an open cover but the DP is £200 sure I've seen a thread about this but can't find it now!! Think someone had posted reply about the Tecmoto being as god and half the price?

Feed back please!!!!

PS- if with open cover it needs lots of cleaning does that been taking it apart?!?!
Old 26-Aug-2004, 11:01
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
The slipper on the 748R was a bit of tosh, fitted just for homologation. Not so sure about the 749R, but bet the same principle.

Tosh = A 3 ramp system, no 6 bearing system like Bucci, Stm etc.

I think they all squeel or grind on initial pull off, Someone said its the plates realigning, as the inner drum does float minutely. My bucci was fitted at jhp, and that still squeeled straight away!

The tecmoto open cover looks ok, £99 ish, very similar to D/P
Old 26-Aug-2004, 11:04
Ducati Kip

I thought the one on my 748R was alright!! Just shows I don't ride hard enough I guess:P
And it didn't squeel etc??
So don't know how DP item compares to others?
Old 26-Aug-2004, 11:52
Big Twin

I had the DP clutch on my 999 and it was the noisiest thing i have ever heard, embarrasing when pulling away from a start or on a hill start.
I had it back to the dealers about 10 times and to bits about the same myself and after a bit of experimenting with different plates i did manage to quiten it down a bit but not completely. ( An extra spring plate helped )

Got my 749R and the standard clutch did the same but not on a scale anywhere near the dp one but i took it out and greased the ramps and spider type spring plate and this also made it a bit quiter.

I have now fitted my Ferracci slipper and the noise is only heard when on a steep hill start,when pulling away normally it does not do it, yet !!

I found again that a bit of grease ( graphite ) makes it better.

Only my opinion mind, but it seemed to work so far for me.
Old 26-Aug-2004, 12:26
Ducati Kip

Quote:
Originally posted by iang
I had the DP clutch on my 999 and it was the noisiest thing i have ever heard, embarrasing when pulling away from a start or on a hill start.
I had it back to the dealers about 10 times and to bits about the same myself and after a bit of experimenting with different plates i did manage to quiten it down a bit but not completely. ( An extra spring plate helped )

Got my 749R and the standard clutch did the same but not on a scale anywhere near the dp one but i took it out and greased the ramps and spider type spring plate and this also made it a bit quiter.

I have now fitted my Ferracci slipper and the noise is only heard when on a steep hill start,when pulling away normally it does not do it, yet !!

I found again that a bit of grease ( graphite ) makes it better.

Only my opinion mind, but it seemed to work so far for me.

Oh not sure what to do now?? Will speak to the dealer I think see what they say he also said it would be ok to leave the standard plates in?
Old 26-Aug-2004, 12:31
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
do a search on 'slipper clutch' on the site and wade through all the info. im sure anything you want to know will be there.
imho you cant go wrong with a stm item along with the 48t plates.
Old 26-Aug-2004, 12:37
Ducati Kip

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
do a search on 'slipper clutch' on the site and wade through all the info. im sure anything you want to know will be there.
imho you cant go wrong with a stm item along with the 48t plates.

Standard as in 'not slipper' what does changing the plates to 48t do?
(Sorry for sounding dim)
Old 26-Aug-2004, 12:43
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
no 'STM' as in the manufacturer.
Old 26-Aug-2004, 13:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Kip, give Nelly at Cornerspeed a call or Alan at AJR. They'll be able to advise on this.