Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jun-2004, 21:57
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Testastretta Multistrada??

Well, I've e-mailed Ducati to ask about about a testastretta engined MS ... mmmmm MCN had something in their about one so clearly it will be true ... Ducati London South said today that the only new one will be an 800 etc (smaller 2V stuff)

The question I have for you MS owners is directed specifically to those who have jumped off four valve machinery - or who own both for that matter. Do you notice the lack of horsepower compared to larger capacity 4V machines? Or any handling shortcomings compared to 9** machines? Or any other comparisons to larger 4V machines?

Your help is greatly appreciated.....
Old 22-Jun-2004, 22:14
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
My own experience ...
I own a 750 Sport (2V), a 999S and I did a long test ride a 749S a little while ago. The 750 Sport is, to be blunt, gutless compared to the 749, let alone the 999. Compare that to the power available to the 749 and 999 - oodles of it (to use a technical term). That said, with the cheapie suspension parts that the Sport uses, you don't want a lot of power!
The short answer - there is a world of difference between 2V per cyl and 4V. Especially in the upperhalf of the rev range.
All the same, I still love my 750 Sport.
Old 22-Jun-2004, 23:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
I've had a 900SS, a 916BP, and I've just gone back to a 900SL. I didn't do it because I love the engine, more because I love the style, low hassle factor, noise and the lack of financial/security worry!

Having said that, I don't really find the 900 that under powered. Long term I'd like to chuck a 1000DS lump in there with a 1080 kit from Sigma Performance, but that has more to do with low down grunt and getting the front up on what's quite a long bike.

In the end the figures speak for themselves. A 1000DS chucks out 85ish bhp, while most 999s make at least another 45% on top. That's big bananas on a bike weighing 190kg. For me though a 1080DS with about 92bhp and shed loads of torque would be prefect. Just got to find an engine now.....

Cheers,

Ali
Old 23-Jun-2004, 00:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Testastretta Multistrada... YES PLEASE

As for the current MS and how it compares, well i'm still running my multi in (1st service on Thursday) so will be better qualified to talk after i've done a few more miles but going of the run in demo bikes i'd say you would really notice the power difference at 3 figure plus speeds where the 4 valvers would run away and hide. There is something about the 996 when it starts flying it feels brutish in comparison to the multi.

This may sound negative uptil now and i did ask myself why am i getting rid of the st4s for an underpowered slug, if you just read the specifications; but i am a fan of dirtbike/supermoto's and the multi feels like a giant supermoto and is incredible fun for something with only 85bhp. Its also far better than the st4s in traffic and as a town bike, the upright riding position being good and the low down torque is great for town and back road hooning.

Having said that its still the 996 that's taking me to France and Spain next month for a good thrashing, but its the Multi thats going to Morocco later on in the year.Horses for courses, depends on what you want the bike for.

The power difference is big, the Multi at the risk of being abused by other Multi riders feels very user friendly and 'Honda' like in comparison to the 4 valvers. I'm sure Honda could produce a version someway between the firestorm and varadero.

The Multi is a very deceptive bike but a good laugh, don't just look at the power figures, you've got to ride one, i didn't intend buying one when i test rode it.

Handling wise, its very easy, relaxed and surprisingly good, just lob it on its side and let the torque whiz you out, its so easy with those big bars, doesn't even feel like its working hard, again just like a big supermoto
Old 23-Jun-2004, 07:31
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Bit of an old chesnut,this one.
If you travel everywhere at 110mph plus,then yep the Multistrada will feel gutless compared to a 4 valver.That aint what the bike is all about.Its about riding that sea of torque that fires you out of corners and takes riders of "faster" bikes by suprise.The ST2 is another example.Ive been on loads of rideouts on my MTS and it NEVER gets left behind.Dont forget Jools giving the superbike riders a hard time at the DSC track day.Never underestimate the 2 valver.
Testastretta MTS,hmm I dont think so.
Bunging in a 4 valve motor is going to completely spoil the bike IMHO.
With all the plumbing for the watercooling the motor is never going to be pretty.Where the heck are they gonna hang a radiator?There is'nt enough room inbetween the fairing sides,so that would have to be redesigned.Clearance between the front cyl head and wheel could be a problem too.A 4v motor is heavy.At a claimed 200kg the bike is heavy enough.It feels even heavier with a full tank of fuel.
You could argue that it would be worth it for the extra power.Its extra power the bike does'nt need IMO.
And hey,if I want to go faster,I drag out my 999!
Old 23-Jun-2004, 15:31
MotoGP God

Ducati\'s Response

Dear Mr. Perrin,
thanks for contacting us.

First of all, we would like to thank you for your comments; feedback form the market place is really important to us: it helps us to understand your needs, indeed. As per your request, we regret having to inform you we cannot provide our Customers with information on the future release of new models. We therefore kindly invite you to keep updated on the Ducati new release through the our official web site and specialized magazines.

I remain at your disposal.

Best Regards,
Antonella Cellana

Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale - Italy
Old 23-Jun-2004, 15:59
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
As KeefyB says, if you're a trackday fanatic the 2 valvers will be lacking in power but even on the track they make up a lot of that outright power in their ability to drive out of corners. Using all of the power most of the time is the key, since you don't have to treat the throttle with kid gloves in case it spins up and spits you off the highside.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and have just (with some trepidation) put myself down for the fast group for TA3. Since Rockingham is not an out and out power circuit we'll see how the old two valver cuts it with the big boys - I fully expect they'll all be faster than me but hey, if I hold them up too much or feel out of my depth I'll move back down to the inters.

Away from the track? I have to tell you that if you want to go very much faster than KeefyB's Multistrada is capable of going on real roads...you would have to be an out and out nutter
Old 23-Jun-2004, 17:09
MotoGP God

In no way am I some track god or a really fast road rider for that matter. Your opinions certainly help me to understand where I would position the MS in respect to the 996 I currently own. I haven't ridden a bike that makes less than 100 bhp for about 5-6 years so not really in a position to comment about them.

I guess since having the work done on mine I have grown used to(addicted to) the instant type response and the drive that thing gives me - it's awesome and I love it. I know the two are different bikes etc, I was looking for your help to tell me how different they are before and to see what your opinions were having done the very thing I'm contemplating - leveraging your experience as it were.

If I test ride one I'll want to buy it straight away! I think it would be the perfect companion to my 996

Thank you all for your help. If my wife gives me permission to turn the 996 into a TD\Race\Occasional road use bike and get another then it will be an MS and I will transfer my deposit from the Paul Smart 1000 to buying the MS. Seeing as this wouldn't be until next year anyway I'll see what the 2005 model lineup will be before buying the MS ...

[Edited on 23-6-2004 by tp-996]
Old 23-Jun-2004, 17:56
Mille

Mood: Yoi
Our very own Trackday Organiser (Monty) put many to shame on a recent CSS day with his c.40bhp Gilera.

As I always say, it's not what you've got it's how you use it!
Old 25-Jun-2004, 15:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
I should have come to this thread before now really. Agree with everything the man who helped me by my MS, - keefy.

Having ridden Ducs going back to the bevel engines and owned in more recent years a 900SL, and 916 I would say that the new lightweight (thats how they feel to ride) engines of the 1000DS is as much as you need on the MS, - and it is very different from the 900SS engine it was based on. A motorbike is about the sum of its parts and not one individual bit, - which is where the Japs never quite understand it right. The reason the 2 valve 900ss engine sounds like the best engine in the world through a set of termis is that the valve timing has a load of valve over-lap on it, something to do with exhaust still being open when inlet is coming in, - as such raw petrol gets shoved through the exhasut and you end with a what i describe as a really heavy sounding, heavy feeling engine, - to me you can almost feel each and every explosion. the new DS engine is made to a lot tighter tolerance so as to get it passed through emissions regs so to read through my waffle, - don't compare a 900ss engine with a 1000DS.
The other fundimental diffrence with a MS that you may not have noticed is that it does not have a fairing. You feel the speed that you are travelling at rather than be isolated from it on a 916. You get cold, you get pushed around by wind blast from other big vehicles, and you are very aware of what 80mph is like as you are braking into a bend.
In my opinion it is a bike made for small A roads and twisty B roads. Having followed on a few of the DSc rides, I would say that the MS turns faster than anything else on tight bends, but where it is a little more nervy is on long sweeping bends where the stabilty of short travel suspension comes into its own; a long bend that I would ride at about 110mph (race track you understand) on the 916 feels a bit swervy on the MS and the other week I decided that digging my knees in at 90mph and feeling the long travel suspension moving I thought enough is enough and lets not open that right hand anymore.