Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 17-Aug-2006, 11:25
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper
Dam, you susssed my top secret passwords!

Default settings, innit!

You can login and check that your MAC address is in the list, and I think (if I remember correctly...) that you can manually add them as well.

If you are already in there then it may be something with the key - I know they can be a bit iffy and require the hex in UPPER CASE.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 17-Aug-2006, 11:46
Ducati Corse

I'm fairly confident that its a key issue as the computer can connect to the network but keeps telling me that it requires a network key to authenticate. The key on the bottom of the live box matches the key on the CD packet and i've entered it in upper case with figure zeros instead of letter O's and no gaps.
Old 17-Aug-2006, 12:26
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Ah, I think I had the same when setting up someone's before - in the Invensys software I'm sure there are a couple of different ways to enter the key (hex/string) so try the other way?

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 17-Aug-2006, 12:42
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello antonye

can I ask if you don't mind
I was told that wireless devices have certain channels
that they prefer to work on ie 1, 6 and 11 due to interference
from other radio devices.

If for example if I am on channel 1 and goto connect
sometimes I see other, pc's on the same channel as me.

Can this slow down my connection?
would I be advised to select another channel

many thanks

TopiToo
Old 17-Aug-2006, 12:55
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Not too sure - I'm not an expert but have setup some Wanadoo (now Orange) kit for friends and family so know the ins and outs of them... and what a pain they can be!

As for the channels, that's not quite right. There are different specifications (read: speeds) of wireless which your computer may be able to work at.

The spec is IEEE 802.11 x, where x is a letter and the most common in use are:

802.11b - operates at 2.4GHz and supports upto 11Mbps, ~ 100 feet range.

802.11a - operates at 5GHz, upto 54Mbps, ~ 100 feet range.

802.11g - operates at 2.4GHz, upto 108Mbps, ~ 100 feet range.

I think these are the "channels" that you have been told about. The problem with the 2.4GHz range (b and g) is that this is the UK's "anything goes" range, so it gets flooded by everything from microwave ovens to bluetooth to video senders, so sometimes you can get interference on them.

The channels you can "see" in your wireless networks section are just other people's home/office networks. Unless you have the keys for them, you won't be able to get into them, and as such it shouldn't interfere with your network. The range is quite poor on wireless, especially as brick walls soak up the radio waves quite nicely, and this is why wireless is quite an attractive, low range option.

So, in summary, there's not much you can do about selecting "another channel" unless your hardware supports it, and you'll probably be running b or g anyway, and because they operate at the same frequency it won't make any difference!

As long as you're not actually connection to the other networks, it won't slow down your connection, but it may (slightly) degrade the quality of your connection.

So don't worry about it

Old 17-Aug-2006, 13:11
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello antonye

Thanks for that

I have mine set at standard 802.11b &802.11g and the signal strength is around 74dBm, this signal can vary between day and night I guess due to interference.

is there any way of improving the strenght, barring putting the PC next to the router?

TopiToo
Old 17-Aug-2006, 13:22
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Within the 2.4GHz band, most routers offer you 13 channels you can choose from. The default channel offered by most routers is No. 11 and there is no need to change this unless you find that interference from other sources is affecting your connectivity on this channel.
Old 17-Aug-2006, 22:20
Ducati Corse

I went out at lunch time and bought a Belkin wireless card. Came home tonight, ran the utility, plugged the card in and it works perfectly!

Many thanks for everyones help.
Old 17-Aug-2006, 23:11
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Thanks for buying a Belkin wireless card, my daughter works in sales for Belkin so I want as many people to buy Belkin stuff as possible so that she becomes extremely wealthy and can support her dads Ducati addiction into old age

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 17-Aug-2006, 23:26
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
As for the channels, that's not quite right. There are different specifications (read: speeds) of wireless which your computer may be able to work at.

Not exactly Ant, the channels are simply communication channels. If you set your AP to the channel 11 you may want to set all other devices to the same channel. I think it has been designed for busy environments (loads of wireless networks in the same area, using different channels may prevent data collision or something like this ).

The wireless standards (b, g, etc...) is something else as you explained it.

Finally what you call the channels seen in the "my network" or whatever MS calls them are wireless lans identified by their (SS)ID. Lucky people can enjoy free Internet connection by connecting to their neighbours unsecured ESSID

So basically, the channel doesn't matter as soon as all your devices use the same one