Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Mar-2004, 21:34   #1
Montjuic

1999 748S front tyre size
I'm currently running a 120/60 front as per the manual (Pirelli Dragon Evo MTR21).

I've been advised 120/70 would give better turn in and Pirelli also have a 120/65 Dragon Evo.

I would like to get the best fit for : -

a. Club Trackday in May
b. Usual Sunday blasts

Advice & comments welcome

Regards

John C
Old 11-Mar-2004, 22:15   #2
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
I have had two sets of evo's on 99 bip 120/60 went for bridgestone 012 ss and they don't do a 120/60 only a 120/70 so i was a bit sceptical about going for a 170 front but i'm glad i did it turns in better and is much more stable under braking than the evo's which i always found to be a bit twitchy, give me loads more confidence than the evo's.
they use 012ss's at the ron haslam school at donington so grip isn't an issue and the set i have on are wearing quite well but have yet to find out if they will last as long as the evo's
Old 11-Mar-2004, 22:37   #3

I changed the 120/60 Evo on my 2002 748s for a 120/70 Rs2 while at Almeria last month.

The improvement in stability in a straight line is impressive, but for me the steering is too slow. Feels like I really have to wrestle the bike into corners compared to the 60 section front.

The tyre fitter warned me the steering would be slower, but I didn't expect by so much. He also said that dropping the forks through the yokes slightly would restore the geometry to closer to the 60s and so speed the steering up again, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet .

As it is, I will go back to 60s at the next tyre change.

You pays yer money, etc......
Old 12-Mar-2004, 19:58   #4
Mille

Mood: Shiney
Going from a 60 to a 70 profile in the same tyre ie 208 to 208, Evo to Evo will slow the turn in down, this can be compensated for by starting the turn slightly earlier.
Going from a 60 profile road orientated tyre to a 70 profile track orientated Tyre Should feel similar if not a little better.

This is why 012ss, Supercorsas, Rennesports etc dont come in 60 profile, because the tyre profile is more egg shape than a constant round curve, thus meaning a 60 profile in this shape would have virtualy no sidewall.

Benefits of these tyres are the larger footprint offered when leant over aswell as the compound being more favourable for a higher grip level.

Experiencing a slowing of the steering with these sorts of tyre suggest two possibilities either the rider is not putting enough input into turning the bike or the rear ride height is low.
Old 15-Mar-2004, 23:59   #5
Montjuic

Adam, Mike,

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll stick with the 120/60 Evo for the time being & see what it feels like @the DSC track day.

Regards

John C