Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 28-May-2005, 23:06
everton

FRONT ROW FOR SILVERSTONE

JAPAN LEADS THE WAY AT SILVERSTONE: Yukio Kagayama (Alstare Corona Extra Suzuki) hammered out an impressive Superpole win in windy conditions at Silverstone, with a weekend best lap time of 1’26.679. In a session where many riders improved on their best time from previous qualifying sessions, Kagayama took his third pole of the year, this time from his revived Japanese compatriot Noriyuki Haga (Yamaha Motor Italia), who had himself only qualified 12th best in the regulation sessions.

DUCATI ON FRONT ROW THANKS TO LACONI: The fastest rider on day one, Regis Laconi (Ducati Xerox 999), was third quickest in Superpole, making it three different makes of machine in the first three grid positions. 1996 World Champion Troy Corser (Alstare Corona Extra Suzuki) secured the last place on the front row, a fine location from which to defend his impressive championship lead come raceday.

VERMEULEN FASTEST THEN FIFTH: Chris Vermeulen (Winston Ten Kate Honda) was the quickest man in overall regulation qualifying, and was thus last man away in the single lap Superpole contest. The Aussie rider headed up a further 16 riders who were all within one second of his provisional pole time – making this the second closest qualifying session in SBK history. The winner of Monza race two could only take fifth place after Superpole itself, however, with his team-mate Karl Muggeridge 11th.

CARDOSO IN THE TOP RANKS, TOSELAND ROW TWO: A good day for the Yamaha cohorts saw Spanish star Jose Luis Cardoso (DFX Extreme) battle his way through the breeze to an excellent sixth fastest Superpole time, even holding off the 2004 World Champion, and local favourite James Toseland (Ducati Xerox). Toseland, a front row qualifier after regular qualifying, was only seventh in Superpole, taking his factory Ducati to a time of 1’27.584 – still marginally quicker than his time from the regular sessions.

WALKER IN A GOOD POSITION: Chris Walker (PSG-1 Kawasaki ZX-10R) moved from a third row position after the regulation qualifying to eighth in Superpole, good enough for a second row start. He was the only Kawasaki rider in the top 16, when Giovanni Bussei just missed out by qualifying 17th.

PITT LEADS AUSSIE SURGE: Andrew Pitt (Yamaha Motor Italia) was the first of three Aussies on the third row, with Muggeridge two places behind and Petronas rider Garry McCoy 12th. In tenth place, Max Neukirchner required painkilling injections in his injured hand to qualify fifth in regulation, but could only take 10th place after the blustery Superpole. His team-mate Pierfrancesco Chili went 13th; Yamaha Motor France rider Norick Abe was 14th on his first visit to Silverstone.

BIG BEN TICKS OVER: Ben Bostrom (Renegade Honda Koji CBR1000RR) secured a Superpole start on his rejuvenated Renegade Koji Honda and finished it 15th fastest. Last in Superpole was the rookie SBK stand-in Massimo Roccoli (Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni Yamaha).

SUPERSPORT: Winston Ten Kate Honda rider Sebastien Charpentier scored his fifth straight pole position of the 2005 season, but the front row order behind was in an unusual shape. Kevin Curtain (Yamaha Motor Germany) secured second place, only 0.042 seconds from pole. British wildcard rider, Craig Jones (Northpoint Ekerold Honda) scooped third place, albeit some way behind the leading pairing. Ducati SC Rider Gianluca Nannelli took the fourth place on the grid, despite a late session crash, for three different machines on the front row. Fabien Foret’s pace improved from day one, the Team Italia Megabike Honda rider finishing fifth fastest, one place ahead of Katsuaki Fujiwara – the first rider not to improve on his first session best time. Broc Parkes (Yamaha Motor Germany) and Foret’s team-mate Michel Fabrizio completed the second row of the grid.

(Dave, I've changed the title, I'm not the only who did not know the grid formation!)

[Edited on 29-5-2005 by Flanks]
Old 28-May-2005, 23:30
Mille

Mood: ok
ah good that means my second hand 999 will be worth more now and where's dibble when you need him
Old 28-May-2005, 23:40
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Quote:
Originally posted by everton

DUCATI ON FRONT ROW THANKS TO LACONI:

Thanks for the subject title Dave, won't bother to stay up and watch Superpole on TV tonight now
Old 29-May-2005, 02:00
everton

Whoops sorry Roy. I tuned in to watch it live only to find bleedin tennis on Eurosport.

I assumed (wrongly) that you, like me, would have checked what happened on the net.

Watched the 10:30 programme on Eurosport & even then had to wait for some poxy skate board programme.

Hope you watched it anyway & I didn't ruin it too much

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit