Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Feb-2006, 21:21
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Thanks for the info guys it helps to understand things better.

I've been so used to Jap bikes and never had any problems with any of them, and touch wood have had no issues with the Duke either.

I just know that I could always thrash a Jap bike and not give anything a second thought as they were pretty much bullet proof.

I always feel with the Duke I need to treat it with kid gloves and feel hard of putting miles on it for fear of getting to a point where it'll need an expensive service and it will have to just sit dormant until I can afford the bill.

I would like to be able to do most of the servicing myself and don't see why I should have a problem with it, it's just understanding how it all works and what needs to be done when.

I spoke to my Ducati dealer about doing the belts and was quoted £120 for the belts and the labour.

Could someone possibly list what they think a dealer would need to do and what they think I could do myself as in what doesn't need special tools?
Old 21-Feb-2006, 22:34
Ducati Corse

Just a few points..

four valve belts are quite expensive, i can't find my receipts but they are about £60 a pair. I would say £120 for a belt change is a good deal.

A big service inlcudes changing fork oil, brake fluid, checking and adjusting valve clearances etc etc and can take two full days. Taking out the forks and stripping them is a job in itself.

Belts are quieter than chains, thats why most cars have cam belts becasue they have to pass more stringent noise tests than bikes.
Old 21-Feb-2006, 23:41
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Taking out the forks and stripping them is a job in itself.
Hear what your saying, but show me a dealer who strips the forks down...all they need is an oil change...with all the tools etc its a 90 minute job tops....and its a job anyone can do at home in 2 hrs.

[Edited on 21-2-2006 by Harv748]
Old 22-Feb-2006, 00:09
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Belts are quieter than chains, thats why most cars have cam belts becasue they have to pass more stringent noise tests than bikes.

The fact they're quieter has nothing to do with Ducati using them though surely?? Since my 748's the loudest bike I've owned and thats before I debaffled it.

Also I don't see cars having to have the belts serviced every 6K??

I've no problem with it but just can't understand why even the most recent 749's/999's continue to use belts??

All the service items listed sound very much the same as what would be done on a Jap bike?? Is it the service interval for the bigger jobs that's shorter?
Old 22-Feb-2006, 00:09
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
Fork strips are the main reason for the labour charg in the big service, there is no point just pouring out the old oil and putting new in. the old oil sits in the bottom of the cartridge and valves, thats the bit that needs to be cleaned.

The fork job that makes the 12k service more expensive than the 6k ...

Note settings!
Remove and strip forks (completely)
safety clean all the parts
brake clean all the parts
air line clean all the parts
Fit new seals, dust covers (always worth doing on ohlins superleaky seals, option on the showa's)
re-assemble
set air gap
refit and put original settings back.

anything less is not worth bothering with - if a jobs worth doing...

One thing to note: Most Ducati dealers dont have the kit to do ohlins forks. Ducati DO NOT recommend servicing Ohlins forks (even on the 12k service) and dont supply the seals or tools to do it so check your dealer can do it! most prices do not make any allowance for the fact that they are not going to touch the forks!

In reality, if the bike has done less than 7/8 k (normal riding) and is less than 4 years old, its up to you if you need want it done, i dont really feel that you need it unless you are on the track.

A good 2 year service option is the 6k service + a belt change (no extra labour is charged to fit the belts as part of the 6k service is to check them anyway) so its just the price of the parts. Thats a good, sensible service option.

The rule : discuss the service you bikes needs with someone who knows what they talking about and dont just look in the Ducati book and read you the manual. If they take the time to discuss what your bike needs, they'll take the time to do the service right.

My 2 p's worth.!
Old 22-Feb-2006, 00:23
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by 748IOM
Also I don't see cars having to have the belts serviced every 6K??

Thats very true but there are not many cars that produce over 100hp per litre!

Ducati belts are shorter and narrower than most car belts and run around smaller diameter pullys which doesn't help. Plus the engines rev to 11,000 ish which most cars don't!!

I've no idea why Ducati use belts. Maybe becasue its cheaper and easier to design a belt system than a chain system.
Old 22-Feb-2006, 00:33
Big Twin

Again...I hear what your saying Wilf...and what you do at Motorapido is just fine with me...but I don't believe for one minute that 75% of dealers (official or otherwise) out there who charge £500+ for a major service will be stripping the forks right back to the component parts.

1) Because they can't be arsed.
2) Because they don't know how/don't have the parts (as you say regarding ohlins)
3) They are rushed off their feet and don't have 5 or 6 hours to do this job.

I know for a fact a major dealer who when I asked if new fork oil was needed a few years ago for my 24 month service, they said...'we'll take the caps off the forks and have a look at the oil'. As it was they thought it was fine and did nothing...but about 3 months later I decided to get my forks resprung, and the guy who did it for me was amazed at the state of my 'internals'...basically the oil hadnt been changed since the forks lefts the factory and they were in a right state.

I also now know having done my DR350 enduro forks several times myself, that the fork oil can be changed as often as the engine oil if used hard.

[Edited on 22-2-2006 by Harv748]

[Edited on 22-2-2006 by Harv748]
Old 22-Feb-2006, 00:43
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Harv748,

Visual check of the fork oil, does that work for engine oil too?

Tottaly agree, information is power! its amazing how many customers want to book in there bikes and dont even ask what is going to be done!

Always ask what is going to be done, in detail, and if they dont really know when booking your bike, what are they going to do when your pride and joy is on the ramp???

I hear of dealers doing the 12k service in an afternoon!?!?! on a big service the bike is on the ramp for 2 days. The labour content is about 9 hours but you always get interuptions, find things that need a good clean, need to call the customer etc then you have to test ride it. It simply can't be done - properly and with care.
Old 22-Feb-2006, 00:55
Big Twin

Amen brother...

gonna call you soon to book in for an FIM chip and dyno run.
Old 22-Feb-2006, 01:00
Ducati Dealer
GTL

mmmm fim ultimap... always a good idea! power to the back wheel too!!!!

see you soon dude.

W.