Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Oct-2006, 16:24
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
The 999/749 aesthetics have slowly evolved since the bikes launch.
Take an objective view of the 2006 999 as it is now and you will see that Ducati have listened to their critics and 'adjusted' its looks.
I have had a 748 , 2 * 996's and latterly a 749R.
The 999 looks did take a couple of years to grow on me (and I do think the 749R looks better than any other **9 model)...but I do think that 999 detractors made their minds up on day 1 and will not be swayed.
Its an old tune now......if you like them..you like them...if you don't ..you don't.
Lets see what Milan brings......I fancy a 1098 to keep the 749R company.
Old 13-Oct-2006, 17:45
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
This is probably a stupid question but is the 1098 actually a 1200, if not if seems odd that the new model will be 100cc less that the future 1200 WSB limit
Old 13-Oct-2006, 18:07
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsheep
This is probably a stupid question but is the 1098 actually a 1200, if not if seems odd that the new model will be 100cc less that the future 1200 WSB limit

1098 will be 1099 cc, the R model, expected in 2008 (in time for the new WSB rules) will possibly be 1200 cc

748RS race bike (well, 853 but who\'s counting!)
999S road bike,

www.motorapido.co.uk
Old 13-Oct-2006, 19:06
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA
it's because I've had to wait years for the 998 replacement, the 1098. The 999 was'nt a replacement, just a blip. Hundreds of 916, 996, 998 owners cannot be wrong.

999 room 101 please.

the new replace the old, you like them or you dont. there is no other way of looking at it apart from straight.

what I can gaurantee is that some 916 owners will be running down their checklist of

twin exhaust pipes
single sided swing arm
side by side headlights

and whatever else, and despite ticking all the boxes they will be disappointed because its not their "iconic" 916. Only then will they realise design does not come rfom a checklist and maybe understand why the 999 is a great design, whether they like the style or not

time will tell
Old 13-Oct-2006, 20:21
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
twin exhaust pipes
single sided swing arm
side by side headlights

thatll be original............ and a step forward.........
Old 13-Oct-2006, 21:28
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA
The only reason i bought a 996 is because the way the 999 looked, ****, but yeahm each to their own. Iam also going to Milan and have already ordered a 1098S, I have faith Ducati will get things right this time.
What!?
Nobody outside of Ducati has seen the fookin thing yet!What if its more 'ugly' than the 999???
(Shakes head in disbelief.)

Last edited by KeefyB : 13-Oct-2006 at 22:14.
Old 14-Oct-2006, 00:29
RCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefyB
What!?
Nobody outside of Ducati has seen the fookin thing yet!What if its more 'ugly' than the 999???
(Shakes head in disbelief.)

If I dont like it, or it's ugly I can have my £1000 back, it's no big deal, but do you really think Ducati are gonna make such a huge F**K up again?!?! I think not. Iam guessing the bike will look fantastic and everyone will be rushing to their local Ducati dealers after Milan, so at least Iam one step ahead and will get mine in November.

Ps and to suggest nobody outside of Ducati have not seen the bike....right.
Old 14-Oct-2006, 01:57
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
twin exhaust pipes
single sided swing arm
side by side headlights

thatll be original............ and a step forward.........

yeah I know. But hey, I think I am the only person that likes the original cast 999 swing arm, a work of art IMHO.

The newer ally extrusion is terrible, cheap, tacky, plain, lacking in craft, welded by a robot.......what is the attraction, I would love to know.
Old 14-Oct-2006, 07:11
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA
If I dont like it, or it's ugly I can have my £1000 back, it's no big deal, but do you really think Ducati are gonna make such a huge F**K up again?!?!
Thats alright then!
Well my opinion is that the new bike will have a pretty conservative design.I'm guessing it will look pretty much along the lines of the R1 in RCA's avatar.Just bolt on a single swinger and paint it red.A nice looking bike but not a bold design like the 999.
Hmmm,..Ducati copying a Japanese design,.....whatever next?
Hang on tho,...was'nt the 916 inspired by the Honda NR750?
If all the 916 shape diehards buy one,there will be one on every street corner next year,...oh,along with a Hypermotard in the garage as a second bike.
Old 14-Oct-2006, 08:01
Mille

I reckon keefyb could be right that it'll be a conservative look and not really stand out so much. The company isn't exactly flush at the minute so chances are they'll go for a good quality safe bet and if the engine is as good as everyone says it is they'll have no trouble selling them.

my opinion is single swingers are out of date. Looks fantastic on the 916, RC30 etc but would look pants on any current sports bike.
twin pipes are a step backwards really. A buell type underslung job would be cool but then this could be because of euro emissions?
As for the lights....well, side by side or stacked is pretty much it unless they go back to single?

maybe they are getting the engine up to speed this time, swell the coffers a bit and go bold design and fast next time?

my ideal bike would a late design 999 with an early model fairing (sharper, less curvy) and this 1098 engine