Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Dec-2003, 20:24
500SD

smoke prob

on start up i am getting smoke from the left side pipe on my 748, its there on tick over and also if i rev up, had a service done recently at parkinsons and mentioned it to them, they said it might be some residue in the pipe and will probably go after a while, done a couple of hundred miles since but warmed her up tonight and its still there...any ideas ??
Old 18-Dec-2003, 20:34
Mille

Mood: yes mistress
Smoke

Mine does the same. unless they have had about a good 30mins ride they are not really warm, so it will run a little rich, and there's your smoke.

Also after a long ride, and having turned the engine off, I have red hot air coming out one pipe and only just warm from the other. Whats that all about.
Old 18-Dec-2003, 20:49
Ducati Corse

How many miles has the bike done? Is it smoke or steam? Hold your hand over the pipe and then smell it. Can you smell fuel or oil?
Old 18-Dec-2003, 21:09
500SD

bike has done 7k, held hand over pipe, no smell but small spots of clear liquid on my hand.......same as custards tho, its ok after a bit of a run.
Old 19-Dec-2003, 09:06
Ducati Corse

Sounds like normal condensation. Wouldnt worry about it, just try and avoid short journeys cos all that water will stay in the pipes etc and rot them from the inside out. Keep an eye on oil and coolant levels just to be on the safe side but i'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
Old 20-Dec-2003, 01:56

The exhaust system on the 9X6 bikes are not symmetrical. The rear cylinder has a much more convoluted routing than the front exhaust. This causes a differential in the flow when the two are directly compared. The rear cylinder,left exhaust can, runs at a much different temp than the right can at start up as well as when warmed up as the rear cylinder runs somewhat hotter than the front. It's normal and will not cause any problems.
Old 20-Dec-2003, 17:41
500SD

thanks to all for your replies