Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Dec-2003, 16:24
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
They were the R&T forks. They had a seperate caliper mount. The spacers went behind this and the fork.
It's be a different game with the OE forks.
sorry for the confusion
Old 30-Dec-2003, 18:41
500SD

Ahhhhhhh,

That would explain it!
Old 30-Dec-2003, 18:58
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I don\'t think that the 996R disks are the same as the 748R though!!!

Old 30-Dec-2003, 19:08
500SD

You could be right, just checked the parts cats, 996R discs different number to 748R discs. To add to the confusion, it's a different part number for MY01 748R and MY02 748R. I thought the discs were identical for all of the above, they certainly look it and they all use the same forks, calipers, wheels etc.

Hmmmm . . . . . . Baffled!
Old 30-Dec-2003, 19:17
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I think..........

.........its down to the 748R being homologated for racing. Ducati had to use different parts on the 748R in order to be able to use them for racing. The class that the 748R was in didn't allow as many changes as the 996 class allowed.

Its the same reason why the 748R has a (semi) slipper clutch as standard. I think that they could change the slipper for a better one, but only as it had one fitted as standard. In the 996 class they were allowed to change these for whatever they wanted.

I assume that the disks on the 748R fit this category too.

Tim
Old 03-Jan-2004, 14:25

Mood: On it!
Hi Guy's,

Hope you all had a good New Year etc, I have been off the board for a while now, you know how it is...

Nelly is correct about the disks and spacers needed for fitting the 'standard' disks to a 748R. I had the same problem with mine that I race here in China.

I have 2 sets of wheels and the disks I ordered (specifying 748R) came with less offset so had to be fitted with spacers placed between the calipur and fork mount.

A word of warning though. If you do have to do this then make sure you compensate with a set of boults to ensure you have the same amount of thread into the calipur i.e. an extra 5mm in length...

I learnt the hard way and stripped the thread out of the calipur equal to the width of the spacer trying to get the correct torque setting.

I have yet to get this helli coiled but have run with a longer bolt set, lots of Locktite and lockwired everything with no problems. I would not advise this though if you do not have the time to check regularly. I feel a bit mad racing it like this but the difference running with mag wheels compared to the standard set is amazing. The bike is on it's ear in a flash it is hard keeping up with it!

It is now down to 178 Kg (the same as the monstermob 748RS) so that helps too. Loving it...

Have a great year all!

Livo