Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Nov-2003, 12:57

Mood: covered in horse poo
Vented clutch cover

I am thinking of putting a vented clutch cover (billet type from Tecmoto) and a new pressure plate from DP on my 999. This is being done for a purely cosmetic apperance.
Can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of this. Looking at it from a pratical point of view there are a few questions i have.
Will water geting onto the clutch plates (when washing or riding the bike)have any effect on the clutch.
Will i have a great deal of clutch dust around the area and what is the best way to clean this off inside the clutch housing.
Will this make me a god or just a big girls blouse in the eye of other 999 owners.
Is it a lot more noisey when fitted (not that this in itself will stop me).
Is it my imagination or is the clutch on the 999 a lot less noisey than the one on my 916 bip (1998) was.
Any feedback on this would be nice
Old 20-Nov-2003, 13:17
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
definitely get one.

dry clutches are intended to run open to help get rid of the dust and they are only housed in to reduce the noise. water getting in should not be a problem when cleaning if you are careful and dont spray water all over the place. most of the dust will just get blown away while riding anyway but what is left can be easily wiped off.

you will get the odd 'is there something wrong with your bike?' comment from the general public due to the noise but your termignoni's should drown them out as you pull away anyway!

why not go the whole hog and get a slipper fitted.
Old 20-Nov-2003, 13:30

dickieducati
Thanks for your help.
Until i get used to the bike i'll stick to the normal clutch. Its a bit frustrating at this time of year at the top end of east anglia. Have you got a slipper clutch. If so is it worth the extra cash and what make/type do they all fit
Old 20-Nov-2003, 13:58
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i've got a stm 48 tooth one. would say its worth getting if you do trackdays or find yourself locking up the rear on the road; i rarely did, but one of my mates did it all the time. i find it just gives you that bit of extra confidence on the track.
Old 21-Nov-2003, 08:18

REDTREV,Water entering the clutch assembly & left wet when parked will in fact rust the clutch springs , unless you change to the stainless,the steel plates will also start to rust , however you can & should remove the plates for a thorough cleaning & checking out for the steels for warpage as well as the fibers for wear, as well as the clutch basket tang wear , dont forget the P/Plate bearing & grease it ,along with the end of the push rod. ducati has changed the clutch baskets & fibers to a new aluminum alloy & have also tightened up the tolerances with the basket & the plates, this is why your 999 is quiter than the 916 with the stell basket & steel fiber pack. Heat is the the major cause of many dry clutch failures , clutch chatter, plate warpage & so on , to avoid these consequences & not totally eraticate the problem vented & open clutch covers are often used ,some & not allot of P/ plates are also vented to cool down the heart of the matter , in some cases the clutch housing as been machined around the clutch basket area to also alleviate the heat.... is it totally necessary to have all this .. no.. not unless your racing & constantly driving through city traffic where the clutch really heats up.. & starts getting heavy where the machine starts to vibrate in low gear take offs from the clutch chatter.. untill you get going again & she cools down a bit.... slippers are nice indeed, they do help on the tracks & in fast canyon riding to help prevent rear wheel lock up on down hiftinf , but unless your really putting her through the paces , you really dont need it, the stock unit when maintained periodically will more than suffice . later.. RS
Old 21-Nov-2003, 18:53
Mille

As Rock Store rightly said be carefull when washing down when the open cover is fitted.

The open cover not only ventilates but should provide the clutch with protection during an off. You may have seen some photo's of such an event on the site.

I currently run a Bucci slipper clutch, alloy basket and steel plates - its noisy.

I find it works very well and "lets-go" even on the road. It could just be that the spring rate suits my ride style and body weight!!
Old 04-Dec-2003, 12:37

Ok guys and girls
I have gone down the DP pressure plate and vented cover route and it looks the dogs dangly bits thanks.
However i can see already the springs are going to rust. Is there someone that makes stainless or coated springs for this clutch or is it just a case of putting up with it.
Any advice would be nice.
Thanks
Old 04-Dec-2003, 13:02
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
There are stainless springs. I saw some on the web recently, just can't remember where just now. Is there any truth to the rumour that stainless steel is not as durable for springs (looses springiness)?
Old 06-Dec-2003, 08:39
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
There are stainless springs. I saw some on the web recently, just can't remember where just now.
Casoli's have them,25quid plus the usual.