Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Jan-2005, 23:27
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Do they do that then?
Old 02-Jan-2005, 23:40
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
quote "why give them a reason to stop you and find something more serious wrong?"

What serious faults are you riding around with then?
Or is this just another misconception?

A lot of people are riding arround with termi's so that's the possibility of two fines plus an inspection, which is a lot of hassle.
Old 02-Jan-2005, 23:41
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Here's the Answer

http://www.olavsplates.com/great_britain_slow.html
Old 02-Jan-2005, 23:42
Big Twin

I have B4 ULC (Now on retention) when it was on my car i had it Configured B4UL C but had 2 Screws in the bottom of the B to make look like P4UL C and to be fair it looked pretty good actually. Got stopped by some Jobs worth Traffic who gave me a £30 Fixed Penalty. I also got a letter off the DVLA saying it was in breach of the Rules etc and they will revoke it if i carry on.
Old 02-Jan-2005, 23:51
Ducati Corse

The Dvla say you cant alter or space numbers etc to make a name!!!

so go on www.dvla-som.com
and see the plates up for auction (**** takers )) they make thousands out of it

secondly the truth be hind small number plates is that in an accident people cant see the plate ie (witneses)

and they say the camera wont pick up the numbers!!!

why do they lie?

it's a fact that the reason you have the POST CODE AND dealers name on the bottom of the plate
is so the camera can detect it and issue the fine/ fixed penalty !!

so why lie ?

small plates are just another excuse to earn revenue!!

..mav
Old 03-Jan-2005, 00:05
Big Twin

But Surely a witness would Remember a Number Plate like the one i have, Rather than say usual random Numbers like H863 JYF
Old 03-Jan-2005, 00:07
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Sorry Mav, but have you ever looked at the pictures created by either static or mobile cameras?
Thats just not true about the post code etc. That was introduced in an attempt to stop just anyone making up a numberplate for any number!
If you are talking speed cameras then, Its true a camera will take a picture when activated, It will however take whats on or not on the vehicle. I could show you hundreds of unreadable plates. I do know they will use whatevers available to identify the vehicle/user though in this case.

If you are talking ANPR then the cameras do struggle with small or Italic stuff, or on the plates where someone has stuck a rake load of screws in it in an attempt to make it read something else gives a similar result.

Incidentally my personal view on the ones that are over spaced or need a load of screws to attempt to make something, is that they look appauling most of the time, and tend to ruin the quality of the vehicle!

I wouldnt want to give the game away ( well no more than the numerous tv cop shows do), but when you see the sort of criminals/ crimal activity that can be frustrated using a camera reading a number plate, its a viable action which unfortunately needs enforcement on the standard of number plates.
Old 03-Jan-2005, 00:46
Ducati Corse

No worries Andy my mistake mate!

But i do have a way of flushing things out

Hope mine is not too bad !!

Kind regards mav
Old 03-Jan-2005, 11:29
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Same as Mr C.

I have a private plate that the wife got me.

M3DYC.......(I work as a medic, but reckon the plate reads more like ME DICK.....haven't got the heart to tell her she thought she was being original)

I have a rediculously small plate on the back of mine and got the £30 fixed penalty pull in the summer.

Asked the copper if he wanted to save himself the hasssle of all the paperwork and just stick the 30 quid in his pocket.............talk about a total sense of humour failure

Got the letter from DVLA as well, gently reminding me that the plate officially still belongs to them and they can retain it at anytime and put the bike on an 04 plate should i get stopped again.

My reason for the small plate?

I think the back end looks hidious with that stupid big metal bracket hanging down off the exhaust so i had Berto whip it off and modify it.........no other reason, the plate is clearly visible, the bike is brand new they can rip it to bits all they want.

Regards

ScottyB

[Edited on 3-1-2005 by ScottyB]
Old 03-Jan-2005, 11:54
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i got done in essex for an illegal plate, all on on line and too small so fair enough. the guy said it was because camera's need to be able to read your plate. but that was a bit of a curve ball as a camera had read mine only a week earlier!

still i was in the wrong and he didnt bother with my termi's or dark visor.

to be fair i was asking for it with them all on one line and will be changing that for this year. incidentally another bike went past with a small plate but in standard format ie square and he said he probably wouldnt have pulled him.