Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 02-May-2005, 21:03
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Ducati 620 Vs SV650 MiniTwin

How do the 620 owners feel their bikes would do against a SV650. The reason I ask is that I have a M620Sie in the garage that I am preping for the track and was thinking of entering it in a round of the North Glos MiniTwins at Pembrey later in the year.
How much of a hinderance is it not having a decent fairing to tuck in behind,
what is the standard suspension like,
what differences do cans filter and a power commander make.
Old 02-May-2005, 21:09
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
From what I've seen - riders being equal - the SV would have a slight advantage. Minitwin bhp limits are 72 and even a big bored 620 is still only making 62 - the same as some sorted 620's.

The rear shock is free in both series as are fork internals but I think you could get better brakes on a 620 due to Ducati's having better standard kit.

I don't think cans, filter and power ommander make much of a difference. But if you combine all of them with some airbox lid mods you might gain a few horsepower I reckon.
Old 02-May-2005, 21:15
Mille

I've been asking myself the same question.

Seems a good SV650 in BEMSEE MiniTwins is putting out about 70bhp. Quite a lot more powerfull than a good 620ie (cans and fuel injection fettling should deliver approx 62 bhp - about 5 bhp up on standard) but I don't know how heavy they are or how effective the suspension can be made.

New Era will be running an SV650 class at Castle Coombe so we will be able to compare DD & SV650 times - this should give you a pointer.

Monster suspension mods would appear to be raise rear ride height (a lot, using adjustable link rod) and play with fork spring rates / oil.

TP & MW are both running 620ie Monsters prepared by Sigma and might be willing to share their fettling / set-up secrets!

Having said all that, my impression from Cadwell is that the little Ducatis are able to make very good use of their relative low power - lapping woodland circuit in similar times to GP250's and possibly quicker than Honda Hornets so I would not be surprised if the baby Duc's could give the Suzi a fair run.
Old 02-May-2005, 21:22
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by the old man
I've been asking myself the same question.

Seems a good SV650 in BEMSEE MiniTwins is putting out about 70bhp. Quite a lot more powerfull than a good 620ie (cans and fuel injection fettling should deliver approx 62 bhp - about 5 bhp up on standard) but I don't know how heavy they are or how effective the suspension can be made.

New Era will be running an SV650 class at Castle Coombe so we will be able to compare DD & SV650 times - this should give you a pointer.

Monster suspension mods would appear to be raise rear ride height (a lot, using adjustable link rod) and play with fork spring rates / oil.

TP & MW are both running 620ie Monsters prepared by Sigma and might be willing to share their fettling / set-up secrets!

Having said all that, my impression from Cadwell is that the little Ducatis are able to make very good use of their relative low power - lapping woodland circuit in similar times to GP250's and possibly quicker than Honda Hornets so I would not be surprised if the baby Duc's could give the Suzi a fair run.

Some good points there. The beauty of the new minitwins regs is that you can run an air-cooled twin up to 820cc. I think an 800SS would be the weapon of choice for minitwins.
Old 02-May-2005, 21:25
MotoGP God

Again Budget will be limited to around £2k with the idea of the bike getting raced in DD next season. Pembrey is one of those tracks that creates more of a level playing field.
Ride height adjustment is cheap as can be fork mods. The Power commander isn't but is probably some sort of fueling adjuster is required, I still have my TFi unit of my TL so that may surfice, I have some Hi-level cans off a 750SS that I may be able to fit and cost me £70.
So it may be a case of suck it and see, I will have to watch them with interest at Combe I will also watch the ones at Silverstone this coming Saturday.
Old 02-May-2005, 21:30
MotoGP God

TP for the cost of a 800 monster, given there age it would be better for me to run a 996 in SoT especially with the spares I have.
I just fancy a race with my mates at North Glos around Pembrey and it would be a good test of the Monster especially ina sorted state.
Old 02-May-2005, 21:47
Mille

Re-fueling.

I believe it is possible to use the Ducati Mathesis Tester (not sure if I spelt that correct) to richen the mixture - maybe not as refined as a power comander but almost as effective and a lot cheaper.

There are some great links from the Sigma site to some Australian and US sites with 620 set-up graphs etc., (also a load of techie stuff on relative pros and cons of the 620 and big bore 600 motors).

Air box top mod and cans liberates about 4 bhp and makes little change to the fueling; hence the Mathesis trick.

Re- minin Twins.

TP is right, the BEMSEE regs would now permit an 800ie - trouble is I have a feeling it might break the 72bhp limit with standard cans!! Not sure if N. Glos' have also amended their regs.

By the way TP - well done at the weekend, brill results especially for a 1st time out.
Old 02-May-2005, 21:51
MotoGP God

Fair enough Kev. I have to agree that racing your mates is an excellent way to spend a weekend.

And thanks Ian, I'm both chuffed to bits and disappointed with my results over the weekend. I'm actually writing my report at the moment but I'm typing it in Word and I'll paste it in when I'm done.

Stay tuned.