Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Oct-2003, 20:48
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Air box restrictors.

I recently had a go on a 1000DS Monster.It seemed to be a lot more lively than the Multistrada,despite having the same motor.I spoke to Nelly about it at the Congleton Mega Meet and the only thing we could put it down to was breathing.
Ive since found out about the restrictive air intakes in the airbox.Phil at Italia said,"Oh yeah,you wanna take those out.You get a bit more mid range grunt and that lovely airbox induction noise."
So out they come then.
I'm about two thirds the way to finishing the job,its a right cow to get the seat/tank unit off.Ive got the restrictors out,just got to button it all back up and go for the all important test ride.
Stay tuned!
Old 29-Oct-2003, 20:54
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Good stuff!!!

.....when I was swapping over airtubes from the SPS to the R, I was pleased to find that the restrictors were still in place on the R.

I've whipped 'em out now, it must have been like trying to breathe through a straw!!!

Tim
Old 30-Oct-2003, 08:40
WSB Hero

Flicking through the 2004 DP catalogue,I found item no.96435903B,DP air filter kit.
Lo and behold,its an airbox lid with the restrictors removed,plus what looks like a differant filter.
Cant wait to try it out.
Old 30-Oct-2003, 09:18
WSB Hero

Sounds like they\'re charging you for taking out something you already have!!!

They'll be charging corkage (or fuelage) for putting your fuel in their tank next!!!

Old 31-Oct-2003, 11:04
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Excuse my technical ignorance here boys but having had Termi's fitted and as a consequence filter changed will restrictors have been removed and if not would it be advisable in my situation?:P

[Edited on 31-10-2003 by luckywhiteheather]
Old 31-Oct-2003, 11:17
WSB Hero

In all likelyhood.....

....they will have been removed!

If you bought the bike secondhand, the chances are that these would have been removed previously anyway.

If that didn't happen, then when the filter was swapped (presumably for an undetank one) then they would have removed the restrictors.

If I remember rightly, they are fitted as standard to decrease the airbox noise levels so that the bike can meet certain noise restriction levels/standards.

These are huge great lumps of rubber and probably and a few mph to the bike in weight saving alone!!!

In order to check, you'd have to remove that tank, but you should be OK.

Tim
Old 31-Oct-2003, 14:51
WSB Hero

LWH,
Take a torch and have a look under the tank at the top of the airbox.If you can see what looks like a couple of spouts with oval holes in them,then the restrictors are still in.If,on the other had there are just two dirty great big oblong holes in there,then they have been removed.

I'm just waiting,for a couple of spare hours and this rain to stop so I can test it.Certainly revving the bike up in the garage there are some lovely growling noises coming from under the tank.
Old 31-Oct-2003, 17:52
Mille

Thanks guys! I'll have a look in the morning!
Old 06-Nov-2003, 06:21
WSB Hero

Whoo Hoo!
The results are;
More airbox noise.Now I can hear the bike on the move.
More midrange torque.(As measured on the KB arseometer)Wheelies off the throttle no problem.
The fueling seems a little rougher at low rpm,as I expected,but I can live with it.
A highly recommended mod!
Old 06-Nov-2003, 15:54
Mille

KB, had a quick look with torch the other day. Can see the airbox easily enough with the thin orange line of the filter but couldn't get good enough angle to see if restrictors were in or out. I'll have another go!
I'm just back in from the first decent run (circa 100miles)I've done since Termis were fitted a couple of weeks ago. The weather was perfect - cloudless blue sky and around 12/14 degrees. It was almost like a Summers day, or at least the kind we used to have before this year.
Bike seems much livelier, pulls like a train and of course sounds wonderful!!