Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Mar-2004, 03:00

Mood: JOYOUS
MULTISTRADA

After months of indecision whether to buy a 999 or a multistrada and re-reading all the tests I called in at Ducati Preston at 4pm today (6-3-04) had a test ride on a black Multistrada and by 5pm I had signed on the dotted line! Even after a short test ride it was better than I had expected. I have traded my 996S which I loved but was not getting used enough. The main problem being that at 6ft 5 and about 18 stone the thing just crippled me. 18 months ago I did just short of 3000 mile one week on it to the South of France and my body has never been the seem since. Since may last year I only managed 1000 miles the problem being that whenever I felt like a ride on it the thought of getting kitted up and setting off knowing that by the time I had got 30 miles down the road I would be ready for a lie down was just too much. On the roads I mostly ride on (Yorkshire dales etc) It was just too hard work for most of the time with all the dips and bumps and bad surfaces. Though it did redeem itself on the better smoother sections. I really need a bike that I am able to use more often. I am getting a lot of stick off my Gsxr/R1 riding mates but I did when I bought the 996S (underpowered! and unreliable etc) well once run in and on the right roads it certainly wiped the smiles from their faces. I have lost all interest in the latest Jap stuff after discovering the usability of the type of power a twin pumps out. I have had blades and R1s but really how often can you really use their full power for any length of time in this country on the road? I will be collecting the bike later on in the week so I will see how it goes. Does anyone know how long the wait is for a higher screen? And has anyone any problems with ground clearance if so any cures? I may go on the Atkins diet. I reccomend anyone to have a test on one of these bikes you may be surprised how good they are. I also reccomend anyone to deal with Dave Patterson at Ducati Preston/Manchester Fylde Superbikes etc .Both times I have purchased a bike from him he has done me a deal I have been more than happy with. Sorry for rambling it is 3am and I have had a few.
Old 08-Mar-2004, 10:55
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Wey-hey!

Not only has Ian returned to the fold and now commited to an MS but we now have another convert in Martin!

Like you Martin after a 3000mile round trip on my 996 I needed something more user friendly for more regular daily use. The MS fits that bill perfectly AND for me gives much more riding enjoyment on everyday roads!

You won't regret it. As for Comfort Screen I think delivery on these has vastly improved and some dealers even have them in stock. It does make a difference. As for ground clearance I'm onlya 6'2'' 15stone lightweight but I've nwver had any probs!

Good luck with new bike... I'm assuming it'll be red of course!
Old 08-Mar-2004, 12:03

MULTISTRADA

Of course it had to be red! That is till I saw one in black! Will I be ostracised (big word for Monday morning) for choosing black? I know Ducatis are meant to be red, but what the hell! I cannot wait till I pick it up later this week.

I am going to have to do a bit of explaining to my girlfriend as all she knows is that my 996 is going, I neglected to tell her that a MS is arriving soon. After becoming a father for the first time a couple of weeks ago I think she hoped the bike would go and a new kitchen etc appear in its place! But Summers coming I am sure she will understand.

How do you lot find the bike for long distance stuff? Every June a group of us get the ferry to Zeebrugge and head south, we only use the motorways for the first few hours before heading off on the back roads. It seems like an ideal machine for those excellent Alpine roads. We will see. I am still getting stick of my mates along the lines of what latest Jap bike I could have got for the same kind of money, I am sure many of you have had the same kind of thing. I even have one friend who is thinking of trading his GSXR for the new R1 just because MCN tested it and it was something like 0.1 of a second faster round a track? Even though he has never been on a track and never will. I get the comments about 40 year old technology and old fashioned etc, but is it only me that see these race reps as old fashioned in todays world. MULTISTRADA the way forward!

Looking forward to seeing some of you out there soon. Are there any members in my neck of the woods? Nelson Lancs? I spend a lot of my time in the Settle, Hawes, Devils bridge area.
Old 08-Mar-2004, 16:01
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
Martin Whenever friends (or others) criticise my choice of bike I always tell them that if they care to pay for my next bike then they will have the right to choose it. Until then they will have to live me riding my current choice
This usualy works. i realise that in print it may seem a bit terse but said in the right tone it is usualy OK
Old 11-Mar-2004, 00:54

Good news today,
MS will be ready for me to collect on Friday! Needless to say my 996 is in a sulk and battery total flat and will not take a charge at all! So i will have to resort to taking the van to swap over bikes at Ducati Preston. Shame really I would have liked to have had a last ride on it. I hope the weather not too bad as I will never forget the torrential downpour that I collected my new 996S in a couple of years ago. I hope to get some miles done over the weekend even though I am mowed out with work at the moment, But I will find time for a run up to Devils bridge via Settle, Hawes and Kirkby stephen. Never seen a MS on the road yet! Anyone likely to be in that area Sat/Sun?
Old 11-Mar-2004, 08:34
Ducati Corse

You\'re right Martin ..

.. saw a black MS in Snells the other day and it looks great.
Old 11-Mar-2004, 08:37
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
Good luck with your new MS. I hope you enjoy it in safety.seeing your list of northern place names reminds me I must contact my friends in Cumbria and arrange to take my MS up there to sample their great roads including one of my favourites the Kirkstone pass. Until then I will have to content myself with the Canal Road at Rye .
Good luck with the weather
Old 11-Mar-2004, 18:08
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Sorry Martin, bit out of my way really!

Pity about the last run on the 996, but
you won't regret buying the MS!

Cheers!
Old 11-Mar-2004, 19:25

Well I just finished loading 996 into van ready for an early start in the morning. Is it only me that feels guilty when selling or trading in a bike you have had so much fun on? I will let you know how I get on with the MS. Whilst digging out all the bits and pieces for the 996 I found a pair of Helibars that I fit to the bike when I went to South of France 18month ago. Anybody interested in them? I do not know what they are worth but remember paying something ridiculous like £250 for them! They did take the strain of my wrists but I think really they needed to fitted with a higher screen also as they did place you up in the wind more. Perhaps I will advertise them?
Old 16-Mar-2004, 21:44

Well what a great bike!

Only managed to get a couple of hours out on the MS today but I am sure I made the right decision. I headed out onto a few of my favourite roads and again the bike impressed me more than I thought it would. Even though I had to be quite restrained due to the running in period I found quite quick progress was easily made. I have seen roads I have ridden for years in a whole new light, I have become so used to the crouched riding position of sportsbikes over the years that to be able to see through certain bends was a novelty. On my return journey I took to roads I have not used in years as they were a nightmare on the 996. Well the MS sailed along them and impressed me even more. The suspension really is excellent. The only thing I was not too happy with was the seat, To be honest before I got the bike I used to wonder why so many people seemed unhappy with the seat as in the showroom etc I thought it was most comfortable. But after only a couple of hours today I began to to realise why so many of you change it. The problem (to me anyway) seems to be not the thickness of it but the position it seems to force you into. Is the "comfort" seat a lot better? and what about other makes of seat? I expected my first purchase for the bike to be the termi system but I now think it will be seat, higher screen, and a hugger. I got a bit carried away last night and removed the Tank/seat unit to have a look at the restrictors in the airbox and of course ended up removing them. After I put the bike back together I wondered if I should have left them alone till the bike was run in? But I did not fancy having to undo all those fittings again!
Hoping to get the running in done as soon as possible so as to see what the bike is really like.

Best wishes!