Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Aug-2011, 13:11   #1
Bikes: 2005 999 Bi Posto

999 Speedo Fail please help :(
help my Speedo reads 0 mph. it Primes ok on start up etc .. but will not move above 0 mph on the move .. and i have checked all contacts the main round loom joint and 3 pin sensor one .. the bikes Loom is very new too so i don't think that's the problem and loom and connectors are in A1 condition .. i have replaced the rear wheel speed sensor ...has anyone any ideas..? i think it could be clocks .. i have split them and dried them out and cleaned the contacts, and there is no visual damage.

Can i just borrow some other set of clocks and plug them in to fault find or will the ECU not play ball with another set of clocks ..? i know ECU 's are not coded to clocks so i just want to see if i get a reading before finding a £200 plus set of second hand clocks on ebay if that's what is at fault .. i have also cleaned the fuse for the clocks too

Last edited by jimspeed : 25-Aug-2011 at 13:19.
Old 25-Aug-2011, 13:59   #2
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
What are your rear disc bolts like?Not replaced them with titanium have you?
Also make sure you have the correct gap between the sensor and bolts.(Sorry dunno what it is!!)
Old 25-Aug-2011, 14:12   #3
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimspeed
help my Speedo reads 0 mph. it Primes ok on start up etc .. but will not move above 0 mph on the move .. and i have checked all contacts the main round loom joint and 3 pin sensor one .. the bikes Loom is very new too so i don't think that's the problem and loom and connectors are in A1 condition .. i have replaced the rear wheel speed sensor ...has anyone any ideas..? i think it could be clocks .. i have split them and dried them out and cleaned the contacts, and there is no visual damage.

Can i just borrow some other set of clocks and plug them in to fault find or will the ECU not play ball with another set of clocks ..? i know ECU 's are not coded to clocks so i just want to see if i get a reading before finding a £200 plus set of second hand clocks on ebay if that's what is at fault .. i have also cleaned the fuse for the clocks too

The clocks ecu & keys are a matched set so borrowing clocks isn't an option unless it's a new uncoded set.

Try disconnecting the battery it can somtimes reset the ecu/clocks.

Cris at CJS has the ware with all to decode the ecu's not cheap tho.
Old 25-Aug-2011, 15:27   #4

The disc bolts are in good condition and steel standard ones . i have just fitted a new sensor . it comes up with an 036 code fault before and after the new sensor which is speed sensor disc etc. but the wiring loon is brand new and only 1000 miles old . genuine Ducati as is the sensor .. so im thinking the clocks are at fault they did give some random readings for a little before it all packed up ... going from 0 then back to the current speed and jumping about almost like a shorting wire or damp etc
Old 25-Aug-2011, 16:36   #5
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Worth checking the air gap...the gap between the sensor tip and the bolt heads. There's usually a shim on the sensor that can be taken out. Providing the gap doesn't get much below 0.8mm it'll be ok. Shouldn't be more than 2mm iirc.
Old 25-Aug-2011, 18:09   #6

tried that too... ;( .. i have been looking at my old wiring loom the sensor wires go to the ECU then up to the speedometer i think so i cleaned the 2 main ECU block connectors with contact cleaner and checked the wires for snagging and rubbing in the Horrible battery box area. no signs of ware there. or any damage from by the clutch area and between the V of the Cylinders.. i dont know if plugging it in at a dealers would help as i will be passing a few this weekend... if they could fault find it etc ... i have to do over 800 miles guessing the speed .. so thats not going to help
Old 25-Aug-2011, 18:34   #7
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Try Scorpio in Lincoln. They can do work with the Ducati clocks

http://www.scorpio-electronics.co.uk/