Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jul-2003, 16:58   #1
500SD

Power Commanders - Going cheap!
Hi All,

Had to share this with you. If you're thinking about buying a PCIII, buy it from the same place I got mine! Supplier is in the States but don't let that put you off.

How does this sound:

PCIII of your choice, brand new, to your door for approx £170!

You can contact him by e-mailing to sales@twowheeldrift.com. Say I sent you and he'll know the score. He always has at least 100 PCIIIs in stock, so he should have exactly what you're after.

He also does a very nice line in carbon bits and bobs (again, very cheap), so if you're after a PCIII it won't cost any extra in shipping to have some CF put in the box as well.

I know this sounds like a sales plug but there's absolutely nothing in this for me. I was just so totally impressed I had to share the info!
Old 03-Jul-2003, 17:00   #2
Big Twin

yep thats the guy I got mine from, highly recommended!
Old 03-Jul-2003, 18:07   #3
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Just looking at the http://www.twowheeldrift.com/ and http://www.powercommander.com/ websites and the unit for the 748.

It looks like it just fits into the loom, piggy backing on a connector - no splicing of the loom or anything required!

Is it really this easy to fit, and what are the improvements like?

Old 03-Jul-2003, 18:12   #4
Big Twin

Yep apart from a wire tap you fit around the TPS wire thats it! Only tricky part is working out the neatest way of routing the cables but thats it!

Old 03-Jul-2003, 21:48   #5
500SD

Fitting the PCIII really is as easy as it looks. DJ Tera is right about picking up a feed from the TPS sensor but, only for a 998. If you have a 748, 916 or 996 the only thing you need to do is undo the big metal conector on your wiring harness (the one half way down the frame rail on the right hand side of the bike) and connect in the wiring from the PCIII. It has the factory fittings so no cutting or anything else required.

Also, if you have a 748 or 996, the PCIII for both models is physically the same unit. The only difference is the pre-programmed map. As you can download all available maps from Dynojet and then upload into the PCIII (they come with the necessary cables to hook up to your computer), if you have a 748 for example, you can fit the PCIII for the 996 and upload the 748 maps to it. Or vice versa.

The PCIII really is a good unit. Obviously as with any mappable item, you're going to get the best from it by having it set up specifically for your bike. There are so many Dynojet tuning centres around this should be easy to arrange.

Here's something else to consider, Monster Mob Ducati use a PCIII on Stuart Easton's 748RS. With all the options available to them (FIM Ultimap, DBTronic etc) they chose to use a PCIII. I think that says it all really!
Old 04-Jul-2003, 10:21   #6
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Thanks Neil, great reply.

My 748S spits like an Italian footballer at around 4-5K which is fine when you're "on it" but becomes a real pain when you get into a town.

I've currently got a 50mm CF Termi half system on with the matching DP chip. It's been setup for these but obviously still isn't right lower down (the performance is fine!) so I'm just looking to get the fuelling sorted throughout the whole range.

Time to consult the bank account methinks!
Old 04-Jul-2003, 13:50   #7
500SD

Ah yes, the old 4-5K fuelling issue. Here's the good news, the PCIII, if set up properly, will eliminate it!

A couple of other tips I should have included in previous post. If you're going to have it fine tuned on the dyno, try to find a Dynojet tuning centre that has the new "Tuning Link" software. I think there's only about 9 tuning centres in the country at present with the new software, but it really is worthwhile to find one and have the bike set up there. The advantage of the new software is that instead of having to go the old route of runing it up on the dyno, altering map, uploading new map to PCIII and then running up on the dyno again to see if changes have worked (repeat ad-infinitum), the "Tuning Link" controls both the dyno and alters the PCIII in real time! It also allows for simulation of real world driving conditions, where you may have a bizarre combination of RPM/throttle position etc. rather than everything being mapped on full chat, full power runs. In addition, time scale for set up is dramatically reduced. On average you're looking at approx £60 - £80 for full custom map and a bike that runs like dream! So if you buy from my contact in the States, you've got the PCIII plus full custom map for less than you can buy just the PCIII for in the UK! You know it makes sense!!!

Finally, if you are having the bike set up on a dyno, make sure that they don't just stick a lamda probe up the tail pipe. Remove the blanking plugs from the primary pipes and insert a probe into each. This will give a true reading for each cylinder individually and you can then take advantage of the PCIIIs ability to offset the map for each cylinder. Result, both cylinders working exactly as they should, more power, smoother running.

If you contact Dynojet UK (01995 600 500) they will tell you where all the "Tuning Link" centres are.