Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Nov-2005, 13:45
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
Basic Maintenance - new chain

Hi guys, I am fairly new to bike maintenance and am not confident with doing things myself. But would like to give it a go. What is involved with replacing the chain. Do I need special tools, etc any advice would be welcome.
Also can you recommend a suitable chain?

thanks

A
Old 28-Nov-2005, 13:56
Big Twin

Replacing the chain is easy enough.

Remove the old one via a chain splitting tool or an angle grinder (my weapon of choice!) to remove the rivets of one link.

Offer up the new one, and determine how many links you want to keep as they always come to long. Don't know how this works with a 749/999, but on the old 916 models you wanted the longest chain length you could get away with, as this equated to the longest wheelbase...which is a good thing for stability. I guess the same thing applies with the new model?

Cut the chain to length, and then rivet it in place with a riveting tool. Some recommend using a hammer and 'peening' the end over...but I have tried that several times and just find it hamfisted and not good practice. Lots of peeps on here have riveting tools, I'm sure if you ask nicely someone may be willing to lend you one for the weekend.

As for makes etc...you pay you money and make a choice.

From experience, I would recommend Tsubaki HD X ring gold (great price and look good) or the DID all singing all dancing SBK chain (can't remember the name right now)...looks real sweet, but is expensive.

Nelly or Robsom Racing do the tsuabki chains...JHP for the DID.
Old 28-Nov-2005, 14:46
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Why are you replacing? Is it worn or for looks? If its worn then you need to change the sprockets as well! Which is an opportunity to go up in size
Old 28-Nov-2005, 15:22
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
And if you're changing the sprockets you may as well check and replace the wheel bearings and cush drive at the same time, and does the rear wheel need powder coating/ or a new tyre? And if you are doing the back wheel you may as well do the front..............................

Sorry ...... I got carried away

Phil
Old 28-Nov-2005, 15:38
Big Twin

Oh Dear!!!

Why new sprocket?? Do they wear at the same rate? Basically, I am changing it as preventative maintenance. I'm paranoid about it snapping, it has done 6k miles. To be honest I don't know what it looks like as the bike has spent the most part of 17 weeks in the dealers, but I hope it will be back before the spring and was thinking of any jobs that I might be able to do over the winter.
Any others you can think of?
I was hoping that it would be like changing the chain on my push bike....apparently not!
Old 28-Nov-2005, 15:39
Big Twin

what about these?

Is this the DID one you mention Harv
http://www.ducati9.net/pages/perform...26+ sprockets
Old 28-Nov-2005, 15:40
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by philthy
And if you're changing the sprockets you may as well check and replace the wheel bearings and cush drive at the same time, and does the rear wheel need powder coating/ or a new tyre? And if you are doing the back wheel you may as well do the front..............................

Sorry ...... I got carried away

Phil

I think youll find, only a fool would change just a chain in the case where your replacing because its worn, as the sprockets would be just as worn and bugger up the new chain within a thousand miles!

If your changing for looks or cosmetic then you could get away with a chain on its own. But as they come in certain oversize lengths, it is an opportunity to fit a larger rear sprocket, as most find this beneficial!

Unless your regularly on your sports tourer at 170mph?
Old 28-Nov-2005, 15:41
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by ak47
Oh Dear!!!

Why new sprocket?? Do they wear at the same rate? Basically, I am changing it as preventative maintenance. I'm paranoid about it snapping, it has done 6k miles. To be honest I don't know what it looks like as the bike has spent the most part of 17 weeks in the dealers, but I hope it will be back before the spring and was thinking of any jobs that I might be able to do over the winter.
Any others you can think of?
I was hoping that it would be like changing the chain on my push bike....apparently not!

With 6000 miles id be changing the sprockets as well..........what do i know!
Old 28-Nov-2005, 15:43
BSB Star

Id use

www.bandcexpress.co.uk
Old 28-Nov-2005, 15:49
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Id use

www.bandcexpress.co.uk

they look like they have loads of stuff.

if I were to get a larger rear sprocket......what noticeable difference will there be? it seems to make no difference in price.