Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2005, 21:04
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Cheeky Siverstone ESS Pace day - today!!

I managed to slip and slide around Silverstone with the Monnie today on a ESS Pace day.

Great to catch up with AndyB who was kind (and brave) enough to let me have a few laps on his 999R - blimey that baby can hussle (and the bike!!!). So fast, stable, assured and inspired great confidence - maybe the 996R seeking should be put on hold in favour of Ducati's newest shaped offering!!!! - we'll see

The day started off very wet and really didn't start to dry out until after lunch. It had completely dried out for 3 good afternoon sessions which was gratefully received.

So in balance was probably quite a good test session for the Rattler DD entry. - A chance to get some wet laps in and a chance to stretch her legs in the dry pm - nice!

Andy went out in the morning sessions on his wife's gorgeous Honda VFR - a real tasty piece of kit (and the bike!!!!) - Anyone who knows Andy will know how fantastically presented his bikes are, and this little beauty is no exception.

He did look a bit strange on the little gem though as he's a big lad and he pretty much dwarfed it. But it didn;t stop him putting in some really decent times though.

I should have taken some pics - Andy, post some up will ya?

Andy was also "visited" by half a dozen of his uniformed friends at trackside - it had quite a few of the shadier trackday attendees worried I tell you!!!

They were all good lads and were keenly supporting the big fella.

Also got a chance to speak to the lovely Mrs Weeksy - she was out on her new 748S - and riding very nicely too. As she became more and more comfortable with the bike she got quicker and quicker. Looking god Mrs W!

I also got a good chance to have a chat with Tony of the ESS - he's got some great ideas for how best to shape the future of the ESS and as a result delivering the best trackday experience he can.

He is also open to suggestions as how to improve things from a "customer's" perspective - which I welcomed.

The day was well organised and managed as always.

I like the fact that you're timed and grouped with similar ability riders. A nice touch was that as you trundle up to your allocated grid position and your checked off against the entry list, they greet you by name - great idea IMHO.

Bring on CC!!!

Tim
Old 24-May-2005, 22:12
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
999 my Lord??..........
Old 24-May-2005, 23:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Turncoat
Old 25-May-2005, 08:54
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I recon your face when you got off of the 999 was a real reflection of suprise as to just how quick it was. You turn mate, weve got loads of coats you can look good in on the other side!
Old 25-May-2005, 09:40
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
I recon your face when you got off of the 999 was a real reflection of suprise as to just how quick it was. You turn mate, weve got loads of coats you can look good in on the other side!

I am looking at a 749R as you know, maybe I should up the ante and go for the "cheaper" 999R option !!!! - sorry, market forces and all that!!!

Having spent all day getting trounced by everyone else down the straights, it was a great opportunity to "give something back" - great looking bike - nice one!

In fact the quickest guy was a 14 year old on a 125GP machine - wet or dry he pretty much cleaned up out there. He's running in BSB 125GP this year. He had some great lines and just trounced everybody in the wet.

There was a big lad on a tatty, stock blade that was also hussling around and making it all look very easy in the wet. He was running Diablos too.

It was pretty windy and in the first bend the bike just felt like it was being washed away - I had a few hairy moments with the tyres - maybe when you're hanging off there's not too much weight to keep the traction good? The first DD wet race shoudl be a very interesting affair i reckon.

Jon - I've already turned - I'm a Monster rider you know!!!

Tim
Old 25-May-2005, 12:07
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
Dave has a house in spain - not far from jerez so he does get a bit of practice in - shared a pit with him at brands - he was on a tatty cbr600 and kept coming in at the end of a session and adjusting (with big hammer) the exhaust to get more ground clearance....he is big and fast!
Old 25-May-2005, 14:11
Quickshifter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb

I am looking at a 749R as you know, maybe I should up the ante and go for the "cheaper" 999R option !!!! - sorry, market forces and all that!!!

Tim

ESS are picking up a Ducati 749R on Saturday which we will be bringing on the events, I am sure for those of you giving one serious consideration that Ducati will allow a test ride.

Who would like me to ask?
Old 25-May-2005, 16:22
WSB Hero

The best was actually 1:23.921
Old 25-May-2005, 16:34
WSB Hero

Every second (or half) counts you know!!!!
Old 25-May-2005, 18:13
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
The best was actually 1:23.921

Was it wet?