Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 03-Dec-2005, 09:02
Mille

How to use Paddock Stands?

This may be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how to use front and rear paddock stands on my bike (996) - my bikes have always had centre stands before

I have put it up on the rear stand OK, but taking it off again I felt like I was nearly going to drop the bike. I haven't tried the front stand at all yet as it is still on order from my local dealer.

I am sure there must be a technique to this (one of those "easy when you know how" things) so if anyone could fill me in I'd be grateful.

Incidentally, I don't know if it makes much difference, but I will have to be putting the bike on and off its stands by myself - I don't have any pit crew to help me - can you buy them from the Ducati Performance catalogue?
Old 03-Dec-2005, 09:27
Big Twin

Hi David, there is an art to it and it just takes a little practice. I always had centre stands on the ST2 and ST4s, but when I got the 749 it was a different matter. I got the Harris stainless universal stands which to be honest don't fit that well. Anyway, I've helped a mate with his 916 in the past so I know what the single sided ones are like even if not used one on my own. When I first started using the stands it was a case of "oh god I'm gonna drop it" . Now, I don't give it a second thought and put it on and off the stands regularly.

The first thing to note is - you should only use a front stand if it is already on a rear stand. Don't (unless an emergency, or you have help) use the front one on it's own.

You have the advantage that you have a sidestand. The way I do it is leave it on the sidestand, locate the rear stand (I generally use a rod through the rear spindle because the universal cups are not that good, so it's much like your single sided one then), then with one hand on the seat to steady it push the stand down so it forces the rear wheel up vertical. That lifts it off the sidestand, but it can't go anyway (even though it makes your heart thump a bit) because the stand is only going to take it up to the vertical and no further.

First few times I did it I was messing about going around the other side so it would fall towards me etc, but really it's not going to happen if you located the stand properly and lift it gently.

To get some confidence, get someone standing on the opposite side (just in case) and then push it up to the verical. Then before you lift it up on to the stand you can wobble it about a bit to convince yourself that it's really quite safe.
Old 03-Dec-2005, 09:48
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Its much easier if the bike does'nt have the flip up 'suicide stand'.The single swinger bikes are a doddle to get on the rear stand;
As mentioned before insert the stand pin into the spindle with the bike ion the sidestand.Move to the rear of the bike and gently lift it off the sidestand while pushing down on the paddock stand at the same time.If you have a good quality stand like the Ducati FG,it should go on easy.
To remove from the stand;
Stand on the l/h side of the bike,(gearchange side),and grip the l/h handlebar and rear subframe under the seat.Wedge your right foot under the nearest wheel of the paddock stand.Gently lift the bike up and forward just as you would with a centre stand.Once the bike is on its wheels,put it on the sidestand and remove the paddock stand.
Only ever use a front stand with a rear one.Some front stands have locating pins,others cups and some have a two pin bracket affair that goes under the fork legs.Should be just a matter of locating the pins,cups,etc under the forks and pushing down on the handle.
As H mentioned get someone to help you while you gain confidence,......or pad your garage out in old mattresses!
Old 03-Dec-2005, 18:54
Mille

Abba stand. Not cheap but even a weakling such as I can use it. Still had help though until my heart stopped racing.....

D
Old 03-Dec-2005, 19:59
Big Twin

The DP stand is a doddle to get the bike up as its very easy to lever up, however the one that came with the 996r is a waste of time! Its a Ducati one but the one without the bearing on the shaft. Its awkward to get up and down and as I discovered yesterday has an annoying and potentially dangerous quirk to it. As its not got a bearing your if you revolve the rear wheel to clean/lube chain etc the rear wheel and the bike gradually works its way of the stand! Was using it for the multistrada last night to clean the rear wheel and the bloody thing fell off, I caught the bike (just!) but its something to watch out for.
Old 03-Dec-2005, 20:23
Big Twin

It's quite simple mate and you could drop me a line and I would pop over and show you.

Old 04-Dec-2005, 19:10
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
Its much easier if the bike does'nt have the flip up 'suicide stand'.The single swinger bikes are a doddle to get on the rear stand;
As mentioned before insert the stand pin into the spindle with the bike ion the sidestand.Move to the rear of the bike and gently lift it off the sidestand while pushing down on the paddock stand at the same time.If you have a good quality stand like the Ducati FG,it should go on easy.
To remove from the stand;
Stand on the l/h side of the bike,(gearchange side),and grip the l/h handlebar and rear subframe under the seat.Wedge your right foot under the nearest wheel of the paddock stand.Gently lift the bike up and forward just as you would with a centre stand.Once the bike is on its wheels,put it on the sidestand and remove the paddock stand.
Only ever use a front stand with a rear one.Some front stands have locating pins,others cups and some have a two pin bracket affair that goes under the fork legs.Should be just a matter of locating the pins,cups,etc under the forks and pushing down on the handle.
As H mentioned get someone to help you while you gain confidence,......or pad your garage out in old mattresses!

Mine's got the flip up 'suicide stand'. As keefy says, getting it on the rear stand is not too difficult, lowering it again takes a bit of nifty foot work - I stand near the rear wheel (stand side) with my right foot under the paddock stand wheel and then stretch my left foot far enough forward to push the side stand down and hold it there before gently lowering the bike back onto it's sidestand. Takes a bit of practice to build confidence - I used to get help steadying the bike but it's easy enough once you get the hang of it.

Martin
Old 04-Dec-2005, 20:29
Mille

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have the Ducati Performance rear stand and have found it a doddle to get the bike up on the stand (after my FIRST RIDE today - see my other post) but I'm not looking forward to taking it off the stand again (my bike has the 'suicide' side-stand). Perhaps I'll take-up AGE's offer of a demo
Old 13-Dec-2005, 17:42
500SD

Consider one of these, simply brilliant.

http://www.bikegrab.com/default.htm

They also make the best bike lift i've seen and theonly one I have owned
Old 13-Dec-2005, 17:59
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by m1keyp
Consider one of these, simply brilliant.

http://www.bikegrab.com/default.htm

They also make the best bike lift i've seen and theonly one I have owned

I use one of these to hold up the bike when I put it in the truck, it's absolutely solid and holds the bike in place without anyone around while I sort out straps and things. Can really recommend them.

Can also endorse m1keyp's comments about the bike lift. See attached.....