Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jul-2003, 21:47
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Building a track Ducati....

I'm thinking about getting a Ducati for track use only.

I haven't seen too many track-only Ducati's for sale, so am looking to create my own from an insurance write off or similar.

Anyone know the easiest way to go about this?

Anyone done this and can help me?

In terms of model should I be looking for a 916 or better or will a 748 be up to the job? Whilst it would be great to get a SPS for the job, I'm looking to do this as cheaply as poss.

Has anyone built one up and then wished they'd gone for a better base model?

Anyone know of any insurance sell-off auctions or similar?

It seems you can get R6 track bikes pretty easily, but I'm hoping to avoid the rice-burner route.

Ta
Tim
Old 12-Jul-2003, 23:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Ducati race bikes

Tim, there's plenty of them around. I can probably point you in the right direction. What's your budget? How about a brand new 748RS for about 15000 pounds?
Old 13-Jul-2003, 00:15
WSB Hero

Its not quite £15K!!!!!

Felix....

You can find R6 track/race bikes for £2500 to £5000 or so. These have lots of spares, bodywork, WOW etc....

I'm probably only looking to pay at the top end of that range for a track Ducati, so anything RS is definitely out of the question.

Besides, I'm not looking to do a great deal of maintenance and so I want a standard (or lightly modded engine), that isn't likely to blow up or need much more than oil and plugs every now and then!!

My SPS is pretty well spec'd with aftermarket perfomance goodies, ie slipper, Brembo race brakes, mags etc.... so I'd be looking to fit these to the track Duke anyway and get the SPS back to standard. Therefore it doesn't necessarily have to have all the bells and whistles....

But, ideally it'll have Ohlins rear and Ohlins (maybe internals) fronts, 100+ BHP, so 916 or above (maybe 748R), and come with lots of spares - levers, bars, bodywork etc....

Do you know of any?
Old 13-Jul-2003, 00:32
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Tim, the easiest way is as you say to get hold of a write off with minimun damage to the frame.
If your trying to do it from just parts, it still cost a fair bit as you will need to get hold of all the following bits, and a few other minor bits

Frame
Headstock
Yokes
forks/spindle
Wheels/discs/callipers
mastercylinders/hoses
Bars/throttle
tacho
Swingarm/hub/rear brake
Shock/linkage
subframe
ECU/Harness/coils
Tank/pump
Fairing/bracket/seat unit
Engine/injectors
radiator/oil cooler
foot rests/gear change
Chain/sprockets
battery/reg-rec/solinoid
Exhaust

start pricing up the bits, allowing for your choice of part, such as Ohlins shock, sps engine, Brembo radial master cylinders or what ever and then you could always add in a slipper clutch, quick change sprocket carrier etc.

or expect to pay around £3k for something like my 916 Strada race bike, without things like the 54mm exhaust, or mag wheels etc
Old 13-Jul-2003, 00:37
WSB Hero

Kev.....

....I'm hoping to get similar to your Strada 916 race bike, by getting an insurance write-off and re-building it or getting an old race bike that may have a V5 etc...

Where can I go for insurance write-offs?

In the short-term, I may just get a R6 anyway, just to make it simpler - decided which of yours is for sale yet?

Ta
Tim
Old 13-Jul-2003, 00:51
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Not yet as i've been out enjoying the lovely weather, my 916, country roads and the company of a few mates. Will have a think about it next week providing my race preperation for Donington next weekend goes smoothly. Racing the Strada in the SoT class and the R6 in the Powerbike.

Strada will be up for sale in a couple of months as more of a trackday bike as it will be fitted with a re-cored 996 exhaust, Ohlins shock, but little else in the way of Extras as most trick bits will be fitted to the new race bike.
Dallas gets first refusal on it as its his old bike, but as he has now fitted a 748SP engine into his 748RS Chassis and is thinking about getting a 853 kit he may not be interested.
Kev
Old 13-Jul-2003, 01:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Skidlids, what's reason for fitting an SP engine into an RS bike?
Old 13-Jul-2003, 18:51
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Tim, have you thought about getting a 853 .

Jon
Old 13-Jul-2003, 19:46
WSB Hero

Jon....

....do you know of any going cheap then?

Tim
Old 13-Jul-2003, 19:57
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Tim

The way things are going I may know of a very nice 748r coming on the market...one careful lady owner...