Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 26-May-2003, 14:32
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Is Loris really a racer?

Maybe it's just me not knowing enough about racing, but it seems to me that Capirossi is not really getting it together.

Can't argue with his qualifying form, far from it, but is he ever going to finish a race?

It seems to me a little more fundamental than crashing out. A couple of races ago he withdrew when it became clear he wasn't going to finish in the points. At Le Mans he withdrew because after Rossi went by him "The quickshifter was cutting power a little longer than necessary, making it impossible to continue". How much longer? a few milliseconds? a second? a week? Whatever happened to the "never, ever, ever give up" mentality.

Unlike some of you 'died in the wool' racing fanatics, I don't know enough about the sport (yet) to have very valid opinions, and it's easy to be an armchair critic, but I have competed enough in other forms of motorsport to know that the most unlikely results can sometimes be obtained if you just keep going, whereas you won't get anywhere if you just retire at the first hint of trouble.
Old 26-May-2003, 20:45
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Jools, perhaps he does give in a bit easy. He has finished a race though - 3rd at Suzuka remember. Tends to crash a bit though!
Old 26-May-2003, 20:57
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Fair comment Jools...

Its still early in the season though..

Tim
Old 26-May-2003, 21:38
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,
Lil' Loris is a 2 time world champ and certainly no mug.He does blow a bit hot and cold,but on his day a genius.Anyone remember that time he bounced Harada off his fairing to take the 250cc world title?And that was his teammate!
Gp bikes are a lot more sensitive to set up and the overall package.What may be a small thing to a road rider,like lack of quickshifter,is an enormous mountain for a GP rider.A couple of seconds a lap in GP racing is a lifetime.Saying that tho,Jezza McWilliams (and his teammate Aoki)have to put up with at least a 60bhp deficite week after week and never complain.Both of them ride the wheels off the KR500.
I think that Loris is like Kenny jnr,if the bike is good then they go good.
The rider that impresses me most is that man Troy Bayliss.

BTW,blaming the quickshifter is PR speak for "the bike is misfireing and handles like a bag of *****e!"

[Edited on 26-5-2003 by keefyboy]
Old 26-May-2003, 21:55
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
Perhaps Loris was feeling a bit pressured - Italian rider, Italian bike with something to prove!

But what about Kenny Jnr? A world champ not long ago and this time lapped within 5 laps of the restart !! Ok he may not have had the right tyres, but surely someone with his experience and team experience they would have that sorted? I just find it stange that he gets a championship win and then doesn't come anywhere near repeating it.

Excellent last few laps though, superb result for Jeremy and I thought the Aprilias did well !

Won't it be interesting at the next one ...
Old 26-May-2003, 22:10
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood

Keefy, you are right Troy is very impressive. Shame he crashed before the wet race - remember the Silverstone race last year?

Great to see J McW do well. Equals the Proton's best result. Roll on their V4 (or is it V5?).

As for Kenny Jnr. Not much you can say really. Is it the bike? Or him?
Old 29-May-2003, 14:14
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
The new Proton is a V5.
As too Loris and the 'quickshifter' problem, Honda never have mechanical problems and neither do any of the other GP manufacturers. I remember Honda claiming that a bike had an 'electrical problem' when you could clearly see the rods hanging out of the front of the cases-BIG bang!
I do remember Loris in his 250 heyday and the guy is very fast and a very hard rider-if he can't get past someone he is just as likely to ride through them. Now then Mugello, Italian riders 3, one on an Italian bike-bring it on!
I seem to remember about 2 or 3 years ago Valentino, Max, and Loris all scrapping into a corner at Mugello and only one of them came out of it-they all wanted to win THAT badly at home-woopee and I will be there-can't wait.

John
Old 29-May-2003, 14:35
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood

Monty, you are a lucky man to be there! I recall from Loris' 250 days how good he was and how he went through people too. Looking forward to Mugello!
Old 09-Jun-2003, 01:28
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I think he answered that question today!!!!

Old 09-Jun-2003, 09:57
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood

True!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit