Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Apr-2006, 20:55
Bikes: 916 BP

Mood: Marvellous
Whoops, no chain :-)

Hi, would love to hear current best ideas for replacing chain & sprockets please. I have a 916 Baines'ed chipped, 1 tooth down on front sprocket but chain snapped on Sunday.

Thought about replacing with carrier but have no experience with them.

Also want to replace cush drives on rear to prevent any 'grating' problems.

So personal recommendations, sources & prices welcomed pref. to my email address. Oh and would like to sort it quickly - of course, now Summer has arrived

Many thanks if you are able to help,

Dave
Old 19-Apr-2006, 21:10
Dibble

B&C Express are the best people for chains, you'll be wanting a Tsubaki, without a quick change carrier you'll need OE design sprockets, not cheap.. good luck.
Old 20-Apr-2006, 06:48
GTL

With the Tsubaki chains, do you need any special fitting tool ?
Old 20-Apr-2006, 08:48
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Quote:
do you need any special fitting tool ?

My two big hammers look fairly special.
Old 20-Apr-2006, 09:29
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Oh dear, not another DID chain?

I've got a Tsubaki on both the 748 and the 600/620 and I'm not too impressed with the big fokker chain on the 748 - the Omega? It's far too big for the 748 and the edges of the links are starting to wear and show through as shiny silver metal ... it's like it has gold paint on it!

The chain on the 600/620 however is superb - I think it's the Alpha - and I would probably fit one of these to the 748 next time round. Can't fault it at all. I fitted it using a normal chain tool using the right head, rather than arsing around and peening it by hand.

As for the quick release carrier ... I fitted one two years ago with the chain and I can honestly say that I've never changed the sprocket once! For the amount it cost (about £120 I think) it really isn't worth it unless you're either going racing, know you're going to be changing sprockets quite often (which is a pain on the 916 style because of the single-sided swinger) or you've got money to burn. I thought I'd be (2) but appears I'm (3) instead. Maybe save your money and get just a replacement sprocket?

And yes, B&C Express are the place to get them from. Multiple orders from me for both the 748 and 600/620 and they've been spot on.
Old 20-Apr-2006, 13:46
Mille

Mood: Big bill-money well spent
I have a DID chain and a Renthal carrier on my bike.

They were recommended to me by Tim at Motodesigns.

I find the removeable rear sprocket handy cos I slip the chain off the sprocket to clean it in a small container of parafin.

When it comes time to replace the sprocket the price is far less than a complete oem sprocket.

My opinion only.

Looks like a couple of DID's have snapped eh!
Old 20-Apr-2006, 13:59
Mille

Mood: Big bill-money well spent
just been here

http://www.didchain.com/

It says the warranty only applies in the USA and Canada but i'm sure if it was bought in the UK the same warranty would apply.

The maximum c.c. displacement is based on origional manufacturers chain size.

I suppose that means if Ducati use 525 then DID say that's ok too.

Has anyone had a chain replaced under these terms.
Old 20-Apr-2006, 14:10
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Abbott
Hi, would love to hear current best ideas for replacing chain & sprockets please. I have a 916 Baines'ed chipped, 1 tooth down on front sprocket but chain snapped on Sunday.

Thought about replacing with carrier but have no experience with them.

Also want to replace cush drives on rear to prevent any 'grating' problems.

So personal recommendations, sources & prices welcomed pref. to my email address. Oh and would like to sort it quickly - of course, now Summer has arrived

Many thanks if you are able to help,

Dave

It may well be a did but he doesnt state that here...............does it also mean the single sided swing arm models are crap too, cos they keep having the cush drives chew the swing arm?
Old 20-Apr-2006, 14:19
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb

It may well be a did but he doesnt state that here...............does it also mean the single sided swing arm models are crap too, cos they keep having the cush drives chew the swing arm?

Steady on old chap.

The problem with the cush drives was fixed on the last models, but obviously some bikes are only now getting round to having that fix applied. It's a design flaw, much like the 999
Old 20-Apr-2006, 14:57
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb

Steady on old chap.

The problem with the cush drives was fixed on the last models, but obviously some bikes are only now getting round to having that fix applied. It's a design flaw, much like the 999

The cush drives coming out........ooh er, was never fixed on the std carriers??? That was one of the advantages of buying a bucci or stm sprocket carrier, they were manufactured to stop the cush drive moving that way.