Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 01-Jan-2006, 11:46

***Day Time MOT***

Right I need to settle a pub arguement.
1. If you have normal MOT and fit track day fairings and ride to a trackday, is this ok.Note the bike will still have the rear light fitted?
2. If you have a day time MOT besides rear brake light and horn is there any other requirements?
3. Does having a day time MOT effect the insurance in any way?
Happy New Year to all, bring on 2006.
Cheers
Old 01-Jan-2006, 11:50
500SD

Can of worms at a guess 38 replies, at the end youll be no wiser
Old 01-Jan-2006, 11:51
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by M55Russ
Right I need to settle a pub arguement.
1. If you have normal MOT and fit track day fairings and ride to a trackday, is this ok.Note the bike will still have the rear light fitted?
2. If you have a day time MOT besides rear brake light and horn is there any other requirements?
3. Does having a day time MOT effect the insurance in any way?
Happy New Year to all, bring on 2006.
Cheers

I've done 1 a few times without any issues at all. Just get to the track and remove plate and light. Also my trackday fairing has no mirrors. see slightly fuzzy pic lower right hand side.
Old 01-Jan-2006, 11:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
check out v long posts with answers from Rushjob, AK, AndyB & others??

C
Old 01-Jan-2006, 12:00
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

To start you off?

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...5629#pid248392

Old 01-Jan-2006, 12:22
Montjuic

you only need a horn for day light mot, you dont even need a brake light, my xr 400 only ever had a day light mot never had a brake light. and i got my yzf 450 moted with no lights only a horn... may of changed now tho as this was 2004..
Old 01-Jan-2006, 12:31
500SD

Not as simple as that ...as im sure someone will be along to tell ya,iv got a crf btw
Old 01-Jan-2006, 12:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

from Nelly:

"This has been thrashed out before, on this board and others.
Whilst it's possible to get a daylight MOT, in accordance with all the rules the DOT sets out for it's test stations, it doesn't make you "road legal".
The other rules that apply, the "use and construction" laws, are the ones that the police will play by and if the officer who pulls you knows his rule book you'll get a ticket.
The most obvious one that springs to mind is that you don't need a number plate on the bike if you've got the V5 and the chassis number ties in for an MOT. Go out on the road without one and you'll get a tug and fined for not displaying a plate.................
As well as contravening these rules, which could get you points and a fine, you'll probably find that your insurance will be null and void. More points and if you're involved in an accident, no cover.
I know it makes life easy, but IMO, it just ain't worth it. Lifes tough enough riding bikes in these times without give rise to more excuses to pull you over.
you pays ya money and takes your chance as they say..................... "

From Rushjob:

And from me on the same subject in another thread
The contents of Table 2 of Schedule 1 of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 are what you need to read and comply with.

Front position lamp - Schedule 2: Part I - A solo motor bicycle fitted with a headlamp is exempt from fitting.

Dipped-beam headlamp - Schedule 4: Part I A vehicle first used before 1st January 1931 is exempt.

Main-beam headlamp - Schedule 5: Part I - the following exemptions apply -
A vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;
A vehicle first used before 1st January 1972 and having an engine with a capacity of less than 50 cc;
A vehicle first used before 1st January 1931.

Direction indicator - Schedule 7: Part I the following exemptions apply -
A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986;
A vehicle which is constructed or adapted primarily for use off roads (whether by reason of its tyres, suspension, ground clearance or otherwise) and which can carry only one person or which, in the case of a motor bicycle combination, can carry only the rider and one passenger in the sidecar.

Rear position lamp - Schedule 10: Part I - exemptions- None.

Stop lamp - Schedule 12: Part I - the following exemptions apply
A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and having an engine with a capacity of less than 50 cc;
A vehicle first used before 1st January 1936.

Rear registration plate lamp - Schedule 15 - exemptions - A vehicle not required to be fitted with a rear registration plate.

Rear retro reflector - Schedule 18: Part I - exemptions - None.

( The part where it mentions off road vehicles relates to trials / motocross type bikes only )

This is the legal standard you would have to meet if going to court - a daylight MOT is not worth the paper it's written on if it is produced to a cop who knows traffic law.

from Rushjob replying to a quote:

Quote:
:

As explained to me by the Department for Transport, the pertinant info on this issue is contained within Regulation 4, Subsection 3(a) of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

"Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp."

That is what I originally assumed was the case until I had it pointed out otherwise by one of our Accident Investigators and Prosecution Counsel who pointed out to me the bit I'd missed.

For that subsection to apply, the vehicle must first be capable of being legally used on a road without said front and rear position lamps fitted.

That cannot occur as there is no exemption for a bike to be used without a rear position lamp.

No one ever said that this Country's legal system was sensible did they?

There have been successful prosecutions in these circumstances - Felix alludes to one he personally knows of.

The case where I was corrected would have gone to prosecution had the rider involved survived that collision - sadly he did not.

What it comes down to is do you want to risk it?

If so, go on - just be aware you may come unstuck if it all goes wrong

If not, don't.

It's as simple as that.

"Yes - the bike does however have to be fitted with a dip beam headlamp to allow exemption from a front position lamp which defeats the object really......

Link: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

HTIOH?

[Edited on 1-1-2006 by AK and CK]
Old 01-Jan-2006, 13:27
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I was almost afraid to read this thread ... I could hear the heavy sighs in Notts ...

Old 01-Jan-2006, 13:54

I know I had a chat over a few pints which originally generated the questions, but i think i am going to have a shed load now, my head is banging after reading all the threads.......!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 1-1-2006 by M55Russ]