Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 17-Jan-2006, 12:17
500SD

Broadband advise/opinions please.

Hi Guys,

I need to find a new broadband provider and I'm looking for some real world experience and opinions on who to go with.

TIA,

Neil.
Old 17-Jan-2006, 12:21
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
BT is expensive, however i've never ever had a single issue with it. Not a single failed connection or a single dropped connection... not one.. not ever..
Old 17-Jan-2006, 12:22
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by neil748r
Hi Guys,

I need to find a new broadband provider and I'm looking for some real world experience and opinions on who to go with.

TIA,

Neil.

www.idnet.net supply webhosting to ducati-upnorth and are ultra reliable, not the cheapest ( but not that far away) but its a small company who care about what they do (you don't get stuck on hold for hours if you need to contact them). They've looked after our corporate stuff for years and we've hardly ever had problems. recommended
Old 17-Jan-2006, 12:28
Big Twin

NTL

I'm on 10 meg for less than some are paying for 2 meg.

Always on, no issues, less contention than ADSL, my IP's permanent as long as my cable modem's powered up (never off).

I can also have as many PC's as I want behind a router (some ISP's have restrictions on this)
Old 17-Jan-2006, 12:38
500SD

I have had some problems with BT internet and will be changing my subscriber as soon as my contract with them expires.

The customer service was just appalling when we did have a problem. We were left without a telephone for a week when something in the broadband equipment failed. To fix the phone they had to remove broadband altogether and then it took them another week to get it back on.

I think the measure of a company is thier customer service when things go wrong. BT were definately found wanting.
Old 17-Jan-2006, 15:21
Montjuic

NTL (cable) is very good when it works. Heaven help you if you ever need to use their customer services, though.
I'm on Demon. Not cheap, but good service, free support.
How far are you away from your local telephone exchange? If you're in the middle of no-where like I am (big housing estate in Derby) then the maximum speed available to you might be limited by the line condition rather than the provider.
Old 18-Jan-2006, 11:50
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
cable

Got NTL, customers service is rubbish and slow, but once it seems to be set up I've had it for years now and no problems after my initial desires to tell them where they can stick their product.
Friend just got it, had problems with service still slow, good to see some things don't change,
Old 18-Jan-2006, 13:50
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
NTL for me, no problems whatsoever with them, got a complete package for tv, telephone and broadband
Old 18-Jan-2006, 14:27
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_S
NTL

I'm on 10 meg for less than some are paying for 2 meg.

Always on, no issues, less contention than ADSL, my IP's permanent as long as my cable modem's powered up (never off).

I can also have as many PC's as I want behind a router (some ISP's have restrictions on this)

il second that

/ian
Old 18-Jan-2006, 14:33
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
I recently dumped Pipex (long story but they're idiots) and signed up with PlusNet - http://www.plus.net/

I have 2MB for £22 per month.

There are cheaper out there but PlusNet does not lock you into a 12 month contract and there are no data transfer limits so I can download as much.... ummm.... video and pictures, from the Internet as I want.