Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 13-Nov-2005, 20:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Will you stop it....altho you do have a point next years budget is only 6 weeks away LOL
Old 21-Nov-2005, 21:48
Mille

Mood: Up For It!
The series for all Ducati's already exists - it's called Sound Of Thunder and it contains everything from single cylinder Rotax engined 650's to full blown ex works RS's, so why create another? if you really want to race your Ducati come and join in the fun and stop making excuses!

If anyone is interested in finding out more about the class and the very broad range of machine and rider ability in it feel free to drop me an email or u2u for contact no.
Old 21-Nov-2005, 22:00
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
And if you go along to North Glos race club you will find Minitwins on the same grid as the SoTs, not that I would fancy my chances against SoT bikes around Thruxton but give me Pembrey and there is the odd SoT bike I would be trying to beat, same goes for Cadwell.

Hopefully see you at a couple next rounds next year Garry.
The 750SS is now in my hands and prep towards 2005 Mintwins regs has started.

[Edited on 22-11-2005 by skidlids]
Old 22-Nov-2005, 14:02
MotoGP God

TP maybe this will do you
http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/tu_example.htm?&ct=2
Old 22-Nov-2005, 15:58
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Looks good Skids.

The only thing with sound of thunder is that an air-cooled two-valve machine is not even remotely in the same league as one of the 4-valve RS's or similar that seem to be all over the place. In Thunderbikes the 1000DS engine would be competitive, the rest is down to the rider.

Your 750 idea has merit though Kev, it's a cheap way of getting a half decent bike into minitwins. I think that it's pretty much the same sort of bhp numbers with maybe slightly more torque than a well setup 620 though. Not that I've just been researching this

Have you checked out the ECU yet? Can you change the maps in the standard ECU so you can run open cans and some tuning?
Old 22-Nov-2005, 16:06
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Have you checked out the ECU yet? Can you change the maps in the standard ECU so you can run open cans and some tuning?

I think the answer here is yes. With 1999 750ss I don't think you actually could change the ECU, but I was running the SIL Carbon cans and I _think_ it was remapped by Nelly. Probably best ask him what he did :-)
Old 22-Nov-2005, 16:38
MotoGP God

Tp if I used a ie model I could change the maps, FIM do the software, after looking at the power graphs on the Moto-one website there is not huge amounts to be gained by spending twice as much on a later ie model., Although the current Minitwin regs allow me to fit bits from the newer model so I could fit fuel injection if I wanted, not sure on what gearbox a 750SSie has but I will soon find out when my free one turns up and if its a 6 speed I can use that.
To start with I want the bike to feel and handle just like my 600SS DD bike, but with 12-13bhp more and a heap load of torque more, which as you say is a bit more than a sorted 620. Add to that Minitwins can use sticky tyres, warmers and wets when necessary, (I prefer to avoid slicks as they can't be reused for the road, which is a bit of a handicap if I run the 996 in SoT)
I put a costing together earlier and I am on course for £1500 for a bike with Ohlins fork spings, steering damper, Hi levels pipes, rearsets and a 900SSie shock for now.
Old 22-Nov-2005, 16:43
MotoGP God

Yes, FIM do the software and have maps available.

The 750SS has a 5 speed box ... 61 horsepower quoted by Ducati as standard, you won't get near the class 72 horsepower limit with a 750SS without doing naughty stuff and spending a lot more money than you'd be looking to spend I'd imagine. If you wanted the horsepower and torque you'd be better off getting the 800 but if you wanted a budget racer more suited to the class ... well you're doing that. Especially if it's free!!!

I'm back to the 800SS/minitwin versus 1000SS/thunderbikes debate I've been having in my head, assuming thunderbikes goes ahead. It's all a long way away anyway, as I'm in DD next year and wouldn't have the money to start sorting another bike until at least half way through next year I'd imagine!
Old 22-Nov-2005, 17:00
MotoGP God

72bhp may be the class limit and at MRO you will probably find most bikes are up around there, but at a lot of North Glos rounds there are probably a few that aren't (excluding Thruxton, Silverstone & Donny as they attract the MRO guys) especially at Pembrey where speed around the Woodlands Kink and Honda Curve really help your lap times.
Jim at Bike Enders just sold a 1000 Twinspark monster for £2k, ready to ride away, would have been a good base for a Thunderbike

But a budget Minitwin will do me, I learnt a lot from racing my 583 against 675s and 620s last year and having to chase faster bikes makes you try that bit harder. That and I can't spend all my money on racing as I have my road bikes to consider.
Old 22-Nov-2005, 17:05
MotoGP God

Gissa go when you've finished building her Skids?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit