Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Jan-2006, 20:16

To St or not to ST?

Hi
I am moving up to a bigger bike for touring and I am looking at the Ducati ST3/4 ,Multistrada or Triumph Sprint ST.
I would be interested in any input from more experienced guys regarding these choices.
Cheers
Dave
Old 25-Jan-2006, 22:25
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
I owned a ST2 for about 18 months and found it to be a very underestimated bike, it will do pretty much anything.
I have since moved to a 916 but I do miss the comfort of the ST2.
If the ST4 is a faster version of the ST2 then go for that.
Why pay more for the ST3....?
Old 25-Jan-2006, 22:31
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Ive got an ST4, which I have had since Aug 04, its the best fun Ive had in years. Its done over 6000 miles and has been reliable the only cost so far being servicing and a rear tyre. I had a clutch changed under warranty and a rear brake disc, which was hit by something foreign. I fancy trying a Multistrada but my wife doesnt, too high.

I have only heard positive things about the entire ST range, try and get the panniers thrown in as they are expensive to buy afterwards but well worth the investment if your going travelling.
Old 25-Jan-2006, 22:32
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

oh and welcome, its tradiditional for newbies to get a round in at the virtual bar, as its Burns night and Ive eaten me haggis I will have a large glenfiddich with you.
Old 26-Jan-2006, 05:07
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

great fun, very comfortable, panniers are convenient and not so much in the way, very fast (ST4), easy to ride (stay away from ice!) and bloody hot in the summer!
Went to a Sargent seat to keep the pillion from always sliding into me, and a smaller countershaft sprocket (don't need to do 255 in Japan) which have both made the ride more pleasant and exciting.
Just Jack Daniels on the rocks for me.
Old 26-Jan-2006, 11:00
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Depends on whether your buying new or used.

The new triumph is meant to be a corker. It will cost less to run in servicing costs too. I found the previous triumph very soft power-wise, and not that great on the handling front either.

I found the ST3 a little underpowered. For reference I would say it has similar power to a Honda VFR800, but handles a lot better.

Personally I'd go with an ST4S. This has the 996 engine, and goes just as well as a 996, except with a comfy seat

If you want to save some money you can get some tremendous bargain on second hand STs. There is/was a 3 year old ST4S on ebay at the moment with a starting price of 3k5 !
Old 26-Jan-2006, 11:23
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Echo what has been said, get an ST4S, better suspension that the others-ohlins on the back-with a 996 engine that is 'detuned' but produces more power and torque than a 996! Belting bike, mines been 2 up to Italy twice, Norway and Sweden last summer, done the Nurburgring, trackdays, the lot. Has 26,000 on it now, and I'm not selling. I love the Multistrada and my partner reckons it is more comfortable for her-she's got long legs-but I would miss the pure punch of the ST4S, especially above 100. The standard panniers are brilliant, never leak, and we have gone through some horrible weather. I like the look of the Triumph ST apart from the exhaust from the rear which I think looks cheap and nasty. You pays your money and takes your choice.

John
Old 26-Jan-2006, 12:40
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
My introduction to Ducati ownership was an ST4S. Bought it in 2001 sold in 2005. Took it to the Isle of man, Northern Spain and across 5 countries to Italy. Superbike performance with Tourer comfort. Up to 220 miles out of a tank of fuel.

You need to seek out a well looked after bike owned by a Ducati enthusiast. That way any niggling problems will have been sorted. Service history is king, but don't be put off if it's not at the dealer. People on this board have their favourites when it comes to independent service shops. Thing is, these shops are Ducati enthusiasts themselves and know the bikes inside out.

Get the ST4S and surprise a few sportsbikes. Most people don't know what is lurking, engine wise, under the fairing.

I still miss the bike but I hankered after a 999, so it had to go.

For example

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm....php?tid=28896

[Edited on 26-1-2006 by chrisw]
Old 26-Jan-2006, 12:45
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
My ST2 has been (and still is) a fantastic bike. Does everything I've asked it to do, never gets seriously embarrased by bigger, sportier bikes on rideouts or trackdays - in fact on DSC trackdays it's been very happy in the fast group and holds it's own with 748's and 916's...even 996's.

Echo everything that's been said about the panniers and stuff - except mine hardly ever wears them because it's been set up on the sport side of the sport tourer equation. I've got an 888 now as a stablemate for the ST, so the ST's going back into touring mode, but I love it. It's such an under rated bike that I'll keep it until it falls apart.

So if I were you I'd go for the ST4S, because it's like my ST2 on steroids. I can keep up with Monty round the twisties, but give him a sniff of any road where he can open the taps and he's pulling away into the distance
Old 26-Jan-2006, 13:10
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
ST4S
Definite wolf in sheeps clothing...
Intercontinental tourer, back road scratcher & track day tool.
How many bikes can say they do all of those and do them well.