Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 10-Feb-2012, 00:32

Rukka, Held, Daytona & ear plug kit review....

I recently purchased a Rukka Athos jacket, Rukka Focus TRS trousers, Held Wet N'Dry gloves Daytona Road Star GTX boots and some custom fitted ear plugs from http://www.customearprotection.co.uk.../motorcycling/

I went out for a short ride today in the snow and ice so felt it a good reason to start my review of the products (I've not received the ear plugs yet).

Toasty is the main word, the jacket and trousers are proper proper warm, so much so I am still amazed at how snug I felt while out and also how light they are. It is a strange feeling to wear something other than leather, I really felt quite naked but was so relaxed as I wasn't shivering.... So far 100% impressed.

Mainly warm describes the gloves, it was bloody cold and these are a sport glove so I wasn't expecting a miracle especially as they were at outside temp when I put them on. I would say they are on par with the Frank Thomas winter gloves I have been using on warmth but bave twice the feel and I was able to have the throttle control for silly antics as well as sensible riding. Very comfy and also easy to put on. A fair test would be a longer journey but I am not able to at the moment. Initial impression is better than my last pair, not warmer but better feel.

Ouchy is what I have to say about the Daytona boots, on the bike they are fine but standing around my local Ducati dealers waiting about they really dug into my leg, I normally wear boots outside my leathers but with textiles its the other way round, thought this would mean they would be comfy from the off but there was a bit that was tight against my leg with thick socks over my skinny socks, guess the lesson is dont wear 2 pairs of socks lol, I had to rearrange my undersuit and socks to get comfy and it was fine after but I would expect slightly more comfort and room from a boot that should be able to be worn outside leathers especially when worn under textiles! They were tight around the toes too but again this was due to two pairs of socks so will add to this when worn with just one pair. The boots were very warm and I think they will be fully waterproof, I hope that the comfort issues will be sorted by less socks.

The kit:

Rukka Athos Jacket

Rukka Focus TRS Trousers

Held Wet N'Dry Gloves

Daytona Road Star GTX Boots

As a side note I am really not impressed with my new Shoei lid, its an XR1100 and although just as comfy and around the same weight as my previous 2 lids (Arai Viper GT) it has a stupid lip on the back of it which digs in to the hump on my one piece leathers and jams in to the collar on my Rukka jacket restricting my head from moving... to be honest at the moment I think it is dangerous and am trying to work out how I can get it replaced if possible. The lid was fine in my Triumph leathers which have a low collar and no hump and my lodger also has one and has no issues with his kit so am guessing it is not designed to be used with a collar or hump? (am awaiting a reply from the UK importers on this matter)
Old 10-Feb-2012, 00:59
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble247
As a side note I am really not impressed with my new Shoei lid, its an XR1100 and although just as comfy and around the same weight as my previous 2 lids (Arai Viper GT) it has a stupid lip on the back of it which digs in to the hump on my one piece leathers and jams in to the collar on my Rukka jacket restricting my head from moving... to be honest at the moment I think it is dangerous and am trying to work out how I can get it replaced if possible. The lid was fine in my Triumph leathers which have a low collar and no hump and my lodger also has one and has no issues with his kit so am guessing it is not designed to be used with a collar or hump? (am awaiting a reply from the UK importers on this matter)

I have the same issue with my XR-1100 (which funnily enough I bought to replace a Viper GT). I came to hate the Viper due to the noise - I just can't live with Arais any more (though I always wear earplugs). I love it in every way except the one you raise: it's much quieter, it's a bit lighter, and above all the visor change mechanism is a thousand times better than the laughable hit-and-miss crunchy Arai one. But I do find that as you say the rear lip grabs against the collar of a leather suit; it doesn't help that it's rubber and therefore more resistant. Shoei market the XR-1100 as a sports-touring helmet (the X-Spirit 2 being the pure sporty one), and I think that's where they've gone wrong - that rear lip makes it closer to a straight touring helmet (hence the absurdity of doing it in Bradley Smith colours...).
Old 25-Feb-2012, 18:24

My custom earplugs arrived the other day so tried to give them a test today. Putting them on is a right fiddle and I found myself wondering if they were fitted correctly as they don't seem to go in the ear as far as I put disposable ones. While riding around town they didn't seem to block out the general noise very much but this isn't a fare way to judge them as wind noise is the danger and I just wasn't going fast enough to need to block that out. When taking my helmet off the right hand plug came loose but was still in my earlobe so basically trapped my lid not quite on and not quite off and was very painful and awkward to remove. I decided not to continue the test out on the open road as my ear felt like it had been torn off.

I am going to contact the company because I am concerned that they may have got my plugs muddled with someone elses as they really dont seem to fit correctly. I may not be fitting them correctly but I cant see any other way to wear them. Am a bit disappointed tbh.

Old 04-Apr-2012, 15:57
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble247
As a side note I am really not impressed with my new Shoei lid, its an XR1100 ... it has a stupid lip on the back of it which digs in to the hump on my one piece leathers and jams in to the collar on my Rukka jacket restricting my head from moving... to be honest at the moment I think it is dangerous and am trying to work out how I can get it replaced if possible. ... (am awaiting a reply from the UK importers on this matter)

Womble - did you ever get a reply re this?