Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Oct-2006, 16:42
Mille

Mood: I AM looking forward to racing..
Help required plus a sorry tale...

She let me down last night. For the first time in 2 years so can't complain. Non starter. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the fuel pump. When you turn on the ignition and kill switch, the pump usually runs up for a few seconds. It isn't now. I know where the pump is, but is there a relay for it I should check first? Or any other things I should check?

The sorry tale? Well I waited over 2 and a half hours for the RAC. In the end they sent a local contractor. They brought a flatbed lorry with a wheeled contraption which locks the front wheel of the bike in. This then straps to the flatbed. Away we went, first right hand bend, crash, over she goes.

So broken fuel pump, fairing, mirror, peg, etc. etc. Not bad considering I only popped to a mates house and didn't even crash!
Old 22-Oct-2006, 16:51
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
It's proberbley the relay but check fuses first.
Old 22-Oct-2006, 16:58
Ducati Corse

fuel injection and pump relay fuses?
Old 22-Oct-2006, 17:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
My 888 Strada suddenly expired just after an 'enthusiastic' run on bumpy roads when me and the BHCN crew (plus Loz and Henners) were on our way up to 'Raid the Lakes'. It turned out that one of the connectors in the fuse box was making it's way out of the back of the fuse box and thus only the tip of the fuse was making contact - intermittently.

You also want to check all the connectors and relays to make sure that all the various interlocks are working. Green corroded connectors are all too common - at least they are on my bikes

As far as the bike falling over, isn't repairing the damage down to the recovery folks?

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 22-Oct-2006, 17:28
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Blocked fuel filter??
Just a thought.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 04:07
Mille

I'll go over all the connectors tomorrow. Don't think it's a blocked filter as this was renewed this year, and the pump is just dead as a dodo, makes no noise at all.
I was hoping someone would tell me which relays control the pump and where they're at?
Yes, the repairs are down to the recovery company, but the point is, it shouldn't have happened, and I just know it's gonne be the usual fight with them / insurance companies / muppets / phones on hold for ages / no one calling me back / palm offs / high blood pressure etc etc etc! Aarrgghh!
Old 23-Oct-2006, 08:23
Ducati Corse

The fuses for the injection and fuel pump are under the seat unit next to the rear light.You will see two relays,both with 15A fuses.Check both fuses.You can also swap the relays round,as they are the same.
Old 24-Oct-2006, 01:41
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
The fuses for the injection and fuel pump are under the seat unit next to the rear light.You will see two relays,both with 15A fuses.Check both fuses.You can also swap the relays round,as they are the same.

Thankyoouu!
Old 04-Nov-2006, 07:42
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
if all else fails check your eprom is still fitting snug. as they sit upside down they can come loose, especially if you have replaced it. this happened to me and i had my bike in a million bits on the side of the road before giving up in disgust! after being told to check mine and indeed finding this to be the problem i glued some foam to the inside of the lid to apply a little pressure to the eprom, no problems since.
cheers,
paul.
Old 04-Nov-2006, 09:53
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
9 times out of 10 its the fuel pump relay for that snag. Ive went through 2 in a year. Put a good blob of silicone over the new one to stop the water getting in (if it is is that)