Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-May-2012, 19:27
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 916, Yamaha Cafe Racer (Possibly)

Mood: About to start re-build and cafe racer project
Question 916 Starting problem

Hi All

Been trying to get the ole girl started since i had new belts and battery fitted
just before the rain started. Battery was flat again even though it's been on a trickle charger. Got it charged up again but can't get it to charge over 11volts ! also when i try to start her, the pump runs OK but when the button is pushed the starter relay clicks away like a woodpecker on acid but she wont turn over. My guess is battery related but anyone got any other ideas ?
Old 13-May-2012, 21:07
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Yep my guess would also be the battery, wouldn't want to consider the other possibility
So hopefully its the Battery volts to low and dropping very low when the starter solinoid pulls in, causing the solenoid to drop back out, then without the starter load the volts recover enough for the solenoid to pull back in and so on and so forth

Hopefully its not because your Cam timings out and the engines locked solid placing to much load on the starter, Easy to check by putting it in a highish gear and pushing the bike along or turning the rear wheel over while on a decent paddock stand

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-May-2012, 21:21
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 916, Yamaha Cafe Racer (Possibly)

Mood: About to start re-build and cafe racer project
Hi Skids
I will probably get an ear bashing, but i did get her running by jumping her off my vans battery. She ran OK and left her ticking over for about 15mins before turning her off and then tried starting under her own battery but got the problem i described.
The battery was new back at the beginning of March. I charged it up as per instructions, fitted to the bike, started her OK, but then had to leave her until yesterday due to rain and work. Could a battery fail so quickly?
Old 13-May-2012, 22:25
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Its possible but very rare, I would be looking for a drain on the battery something drawing current even when switched off. Unless you inadvertingly left the ignition on or the parking lights on for the period of time between trying the new battery and yesterday

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-May-2012, 22:40
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Early 916's had a problem with their battery discharging quickly when stored. There was a Service Bulletin issued regarding this issue.

The problem was traced to the rubber relay holder that is attached to the battery box. The connector blades on two of the four relays, the turn signal and ignition relay, made contact the rubber holder.

The rubber was found to have a high carbon content so it conducted electricity to ground and drained the battery. The fix is to trim the rubber away where it contacts the relay connections.