Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Dec-2009, 13:06
Bikes: 996 SPS

Exhaust Cam on 996 SPS

Hi, just been servicing my 996 SPS (I just love the way that you have to nearly strip the thing completely down just to carry out a service and the fact that you have to get feeler gauges to perform miracle acts to measure the closing gap) anyway I thought I had got off lightly until I looked at the last camshaft and both opening rockers gone, plus the cam (

Looks like the engine had an oil leak there at some point as the back of the casing is stained and caused this to go.

So the question is do these cams come up vary often in good usable condition, or is it just a case of warning the credit card and purchasing new?

I only need the rear exhaust cam, which would probably increase the odds for the weight for a second hand would imagine a set being reasonable valuable as an upgrade to standard 996s.
Old 31-Dec-2009, 17:31
Mille
Bikes: 996 sps foggy, 2001 r6, 1098S, s1000rr, Panigale 1199S

Mood: on the back wheel !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevski
Hi, just been servicing my 996 SPS (I just love the way that you have to nearly strip the thing completely down just to carry out a service and the fact that you have to get feeler gauges to perform miracle acts to measure the closing gap) anyway I thought I had got off lightly until I looked at the last camshaft and both opening rockers gone, plus the cam (

Looks like the engine had an oil leak there at some point as the back of the casing is stained and caused this to go.

So the question is do these cams come up vary often in good usable condition, or is it just a case of warning the credit card and purchasing new?

I only need the rear exhaust cam, which would probably increase the odds for the weight for a second hand would imagine a set being reasonable valuable as an upgrade to standard 996s.
Cams do come up on ebay from time to time, go check the site out and see whats there
Old 10-Feb-2010, 12:41
Montjuic

Well i couldnt find any around when i needed them as they seem quite rare these days.

Cam cost me £300 and rocker i required was about £100 new from JHP.
Old 10-Feb-2010, 15:07
Montjuic

Make a new one!

Newman cams can make you a new one from the old, maybe it's less expensive than buying a new/used one.
Old 10-Feb-2010, 15:42
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
there was a full set of cams on eBay other day.
The staining is most likely petrol tbh. The oil feed to the rocker area is pressured. You'd get a lot of staining if it was that.
Old 10-Feb-2010, 23:00
Bikes: 996 SPS

Hi, ended up ordering new one, which took ages to come from Italy as they have changed their stock system and then was told the cam was listed as critical. Which got me wondering if I was going to end up as a long wait.

Yep £300 for the cam plus £200 for two rockers:-( but did notice the full set of cams on fleebay just after I got the exhaust one.

Paint was quite stained and ended up stripping and paint the back of the casing with 2 pack which now looks dead posh, also the rear cover had gasket goop on it so can only assume it leaked from there. Bit difficult to tell now, so will have to see how it goes.

Does make you think that cams should be pulled out on every full service to fully check the state of the rockers as two year use on a rocker that is just about to go and wont be picked up by just a gap check and the concequences can be the additional cost of new cams.
Old 11-Feb-2010, 09:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevski
Does make you think that cams should be pulled out on every full service to fully check the state of the rockers as two year use on a rocker that is just about to go and wont be picked up by just a gap check and the concequences can be the additional cost of new cams.

Glad you're sorted. The rocker inspection isn't part of the schedule. Most will inspect if you ask. I inspect on every desmoquattro service. Not all owners know about the problem. Doesn't make the phone call easier when there are problems, but the smiles it gets when you tell them all is well is priceless
Old 11-Feb-2010, 09:32
Montjuic

Can you post some pictures of the cam?
Old 11-Feb-2010, 20:42
Montjuic

Nice one.

Its a large bill to swallow but it will be worth it imho.Glad you didnt opt for ebay unless they are a brand new set.No point fitting used parts imho as they will have wear so it will just be another big bill when it goes wrong again.

If you think you have it bad i also had to replace sprag,flywheel and primary gear as they had all gone tits up too.All that and the cam and one opening rocker was about £850 along with full service at JHP.Credit card took a real beating that day LOL.

Have to say though bike is unbelievable since i had it sorted.I could tell as soon as i pulled away bike felt 10 times better.Then on my first real ride on some good roads i was amazed as it was lifting the front wheel in third gear.I know my bike and it has never been like that second yes but third.Big smile.

Watch out for them cameras as it will go lke stink when you get it back together.

As for service i spoke to Rick and Buzz and they always do a full inspection of my cams and rockers every service ie 6000 mls.No wonder my bills aint cheap but then i usualy have it over serviced (belts changed every 6000mls oil 3000) to be on the safer side.Well it is a highly strung SPS after all.

Let us know how you get on when its all back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmpphpyx8wvr.jpg (221.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by matt#corse : 11-Feb-2010 at 20:57.