Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-May-2004, 17:14
Bevel Head

749 fuel tank

Greetings,
I pick up my new 749S tomorrow that I should have got last year, but got a jap bike instead, still don't hold it against me hehe.
I've been a ducati fan for years but never got one due to reliability concerns, but now decided what the heck...
The only thing that i'm not too impressed with with the new bike (well that i'm yet to find out) is the small tank that is fitted, and generally good for a mere 100miles before reserve? I wondered if it would be possible to fit the 18ltr tank from the 749r to the 749s and if so still keep the steel tanks so that my magnetic tank bag can be used with it.

Any advice much appreciated
Old 13-May-2004, 17:47
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yeah the small tank is a pain,especially on long distances.I guess the 749R tank will bolt straight on.Gawd knows how much it would cost tho.Gotta be in the region of 800 quid,then theres the fuel pump and filter plate,etc!
DP do a carbon on that holds "over 20 litres".No good for the magnetic tank bag tho.Again the price could be an issue.
You could always get a gallon can and stick it in the tank bag!
Old 13-May-2004, 18:30

I use the 749 to commute in and out of London, and I rarely get more than 80 miles before the light goes on. Maybe it's the way I'm riding... mostly in 1st or 2nd, lots of traffic lights.

Doing a day spent up and down the A272, I was getting 110m before light on. That was caning it too...

Anyone got a fuel endurance record they'd like to share ;-)

Ned

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by Ned]
Old 14-May-2004, 12:01
888 at Last !!!

I have trip in june to the Nurburgring and southern Germany. God knows how many stops at petrol stations are going to be needed.
Old 14-May-2004, 15:16
500SD

i'm going down to the south of france in a couple of weeks and is little bit worried that i will be the first one to run out of fuel if we have trouble finding petrol stations!
Old 17-May-2004, 09:42
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
After 130 miles of spirited riding yesterday the fuel light had still not come on , dont'cha just love that big tank on the 749R
Old 17-May-2004, 10:05
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Its a bit of a mystery as to where you guys are going to go 100 miles and not see a fuel station, or even a Optimax/ultimate type of fuel station?

My point is, whether you fill up at 100 miles or 130, you still have to stop and fill up!