Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Dec-2006, 20:01
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by banoffee
I have a 1000K5 and am tempted with 1098S...

Keep the K5 and go test ride the 1098... see what you think !! booked to ride one in january so not going to rush into it !!! all i would say is its going to need to be really great for me to change !!!
Old 27-Dec-2006, 20:06
Mille

Mood: Running in 848
I've missed my 996R for ages. the 749/999 shape didn't do it for me but the 1098S is gorgeous. Ideally would want both the K5 (for day to day) and the S for sunny days / looking at
Old 27-Dec-2006, 20:13
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I'm tempted by a K5 or K6 1000!

Old 27-Dec-2006, 20:24
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP

"Good habits result from resisting temptation"
Old 27-Dec-2006, 20:26
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
"Good habits result from resisting temptation"

And resist I shall ....

Until I can afford one!
Old 27-Dec-2006, 20:27
500SD

Mood: Cool as **** !
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP

i've got a k5 1000 for sale,only done 597 miles,if anyones interested !!!!!
Old 27-Dec-2006, 20:28
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Reed

Wanna swap it for an 06 Blade only 597 miles?
Old 27-Dec-2006, 20:31
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Reed

Zero deposit, interest free and nothing to pay until July 07?

Old 27-Dec-2006, 22:46
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
Actually Nigel it is piston area and ratio of piston area to stroke that really determines the power output-because piston SPEED is the real limiting factor-valve area is just a small part of that. You are correct though, small cylinders with short stroke can rev higher and therefore flow more gas for a given piston speed-that is why Ducati has been shortening stroke and increasing bore to get more revs and therefore power whilst not exceeding the limits of piston speed. The problem with that is that there is a limit to how big the bore can go before you start to get the gasflow stalling and therefore again limiting the cylinder filling.
The actual ratio is I believe 1:.736 for a twin versus a 4 in terms of thermodynamic efficiency-in other words a 736cc 4 verses a 1000cc twin-so under the old original Superbike rules the 4 cylinder bikes already had an advantage-the twins should have been allowed to be 1019cc to keep it strictly fair. So with 1000cc 4's the twins should be allowed 1358.7cc!

Nigel just re-read your post and noticed your reference-seems we have read the same work although I am sure it was a Honda engineer-pretty much the same result though. It always hacks me off as well the way that some people keep banging on about Ducati cheating because they have a bigger engine-the same voices will no doubt call it cheating if Ducati decides to race the Desmosedici in Superbike-I have been told they won't but personally wish they would just to shut certain sections up.

John

Thanks for the clarification John...can you find the reference work? I would like to use it elsewhere. There's nothing like beating ignorance with some knowledge, is there? I love this sort of technical stuff.

If I recall correctly, Suzuki took the bore:stroke ratio too far with the first Slingshot Gixxer 750 motor and completely messed things up - with later motors they reduced the bore and lengthened the stroke again.
Old 27-Dec-2006, 23:31
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w
Dont even what to think about it !!! But i think its around 17k mark including the bike... sounds mad i know..But its so well sorted and would blow my old 999r into the weeds in all areas... after owning a 999r that cost 21k that spent most of the time in bits in a workshop !!! or not running very well !! 3 oil leaks..poor finish..breaking down etc kind of puts you off... But it did look stunning !!!!!!lets hope they got it right with the 1098 !!!!time will tell.

I also hope they have it right this time, I guess we will have to wait for the "R" version to appear, if all the hype re what it will have as standard it should be world beating, time will tell.

I also wait with great eagerness next years superstock racing, guess that will lay a benchmark for what is to come.

Chris