Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-May-2004, 15:13
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Bolts & All Such Good Things !!

Anyone know of a good supplier for both anodised or titanium bolts, screws, washers etc. (Would prefer a dedicated supplier rather than a Ducati accessories supplier, as the prices are likely to be much keener) I want to replace some of the fasteners on my 999 which are already looking a bit secondhand, especially those in vulnerable areas. Take a look at the three bolts that hold your oil cooler V panel on after a few months, or the underside bolt, joining the two fairing halves together to see what I mean. I also hope to change the bolts on the brake calipers too as the coating in general on these and even other less vulnerable parts is of a really gash quality. Even the DZUS fittings are starting to flake and fur up. The trouble with all this is that in themselves these minor flaws are but a small irritation but overall they make a bike look really tatty.

Incidentally I am having a large batch of star washers made (that retain the noise deadening material to the main fairing panels) as these are just mild steel and rot in an instant. I will either get a load of them galvanized or made up in stainless. If anyone is interested let me know. It's truly a curse when you are as fastidious as I am !!
Old 28-May-2004, 18:54
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
You could try Aerotek.I bought some dzus fasteners off them at the BMF for half the price that Ducati want.Fordie got some nice gold ones for his 996.
www.bsr-aerotek.com
Old 30-May-2004, 18:11
Mille

Mood: i love rubber
i am a pro bolt dealer and can mail order.check out there website at www.tastynuts.com and let me know if i can help

cheers tyreman
Old 30-May-2004, 20:01
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Keep in mind that if you use titanium hardware to replace the cadmium-plated steel hardware, you can develop worse corrosion problems. The cadmium is sacrificial in the sense that it corrodes preferentially, thereby protecting aluminum and magnesium components assembled by/to it. The issue is galvanic corrosion and material compatability.

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi...=7427#pid60474
Old 30-May-2004, 22:27
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Shazaam, what about stainless steel ones - I would have assumed these would be ok.
Old 01-Jun-2004, 01:02
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

It depends on how the stainless (in fact any material) fastener is used. The above picture shows shows the galvanic corrosion of an aluminum plate (after just six months) caused by using a stainless steel screw. The stainless itself doesn’t corrode, it causes the aluminum to corrode.

In the above situation if you used a cadmium-plated steel screw (like Ducati stock hardware) the cadmium plating would corrode first, and in doing so, protect the aluminum part instead of the other way around.

In fact, that’s what you’re seeing when you’re looking to replace that scruffy-looking hardware ... the inexpensive fastener’s plating protecting the expensive aluminum and magnesium parts.

So, what I’m warning here is that if you replace your corroded fasteners with a corrosion-resistant (but more-dissimilar) material such as titanium or stainless steel, you can shift the corrosion to the aluminum or magnesium if the two dissimilar metals are touching. Anti-seize materials will help by inserting a third material that itself will corrode and thereby slow down the galvanic action.
Old 02-Jun-2004, 14:48
Big Twin

OR....
If your heart is really set on it, you could go to nearest Electrical wholesalers and ask for protective cream as used when fastening aluminium conductors to copper bars. I can't recall the name of it but it's a dark grey (kind of graphite colour) cream which you smear onto each surface before joining the two together.
Old 02-Jun-2004, 18:54
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Nice avatar Alan!

Looks like you're in some bizarre car\bike cross-breeding program ..... That Duc is going to have one sore a*se!!
Old 04-Jun-2004, 10:31
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
I have genuine new in the packet ducati dzus and the fairing fasteners 30% off list...first come first served and all that !!

Fairing fastener (per assembly) £3.10 (list £4.40)
Dzus assembies £3.75 each (list £5.60)

No comments about mickey mouse prices please..I dont set ducati dealer prices !!!!!

U2U replies please..

Cheers
Nat