Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Aug-2005, 13:49
Mille

Tyre Choice

Hi all
I need to replace the old old old Mich Hi Sports on my 888 Strada.

I used to have Bridgestone BT010's on my SS900ie which suited the bike well.
I'm wondering what you all think and your experience would be very useful.

Thanks
Andy
Old 04-Aug-2005, 13:57
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I think this comes down to personal preference and your experience on various tyres. I haven't used Bridgestones so I can't comment. I had D207RR's on my 996 when I first got it, and my VTR before that actually, and I didn't get on with them.

When I changed them to Pirelli SuperCorsa's the bike felt much better. I've only used Pirelli's since then with standard diablo's on the DD racebike and Diablo Corsa's on the 996 (replaced the SC's). I really rate them and I won't put anything else on them.

Actually, I've recently bought another bike and it has rennsports on it - which are the same as supercorsa's apparently. I cna't tell the difference between them and the supercorsa's so they are good but I understand they are discontinued now.

Pirelli for me.
Old 04-Aug-2005, 14:08
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Hi Andy - hope this helps...from my 888 archives !!! Mind you, ive just fitted Diabola Corsas to my S4R and I know what will be going o my 888 next - awesome !!

Michelins are a complete no no with 888’s – bin them immediately ! Rennsports (road compound) work best on 888’s, outrageous lean angles, traction and stability under braking can be achieved with these tyres, they have good feel and being very compliant give a smooth ride. One spin-off, is their low weight, which combined with a mag wheel and light disks make a real difference to directional changes and steering. For track only try Rensport RS1 front/RS2 rear combo, however you will have to bin them after one track day, as these are one shot wonder tyres that cant cope with repeated heat cycles. I have just got a pair of K1 Racetec’s that superceed the Rennsports, haven’t tried them yet but will let you know, again these are track only, but are reported to survive longer than the RS1/RS2 combo. Caution, whenever you fit new road Rennsports take it VERY easy for the first 100 miles and choose a hot day with some abrasive tarmac to do it, failure to respect this will cost you dear.

The pics I sent you where with the following tyre/suspension set up:-

Tyres – Rennsport road compound front 31.5 psi, rear 29-30 psi (this is also best for solo road work)

Front suspension: preload – 4 rings. Rebound – 4 clicks off hard, compression, 9 clicks off hard

Rear suspension: preload – stock, compression 2 turns off hard, rebound, ¾ turn of hard, rear hoop ride height – stock, rose joints wound completely in.
Old 05-Aug-2005, 23:29
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
1st choice Pirellis
2nd choice Pirellis
3rd choice Pirellis

I've used Dragons, Dragon Evos, Diablos, SuperCorsas and Slicks and haven't found anything else which suits the 851/888 for me......
Old 05-Aug-2005, 23:49
500SD

Hi Andy

I've just junked the old Hi-Sport on the front of my 888 in favour of a Pirelli Diablo (£99 fitted - ride-in/ride-out)

Although the bike still has a Hi-Sport on the rear, the front now feels totally planted. Way better than it was. (Pirelli will definitely be going on the back too as soon as...)
Old 06-Aug-2005, 10:09
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Ref my advice..remember that Pirelli make those metzeleres anyway..but just in case your unsure, you might want took at pirellis...

Nat
Old 06-Aug-2005, 12:25
Mille

Thanks a lot guys
I guess Pirellis then!!

Cheers