Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 07-Jun-2012, 23:26
DSC Club Member
Mille

Just for discussion (rain riders ?).

Firstly a great big get well soon to all,especially Matt, and Bradders,All our thoughts are with you boys.
A great big well done to all on the various achievements from jimbos triple to Ross,s return, personal positives too numerous to mention the dd padock is up and running .
On a personal note the shoulder is back together but will be in gaffer tape for oulton !!,and it was great to see Keith Jackson (34) up and about after i hit him,and it was a big one ,so all good there.
More to the point,and bear in mind this is only for debate and are only my thoughts regarding rider safety-so here goes.
Firstly, now we are getting larger grids,should we have a staggered start allowing a and b better recognition of their achievements,and a safer passage for all as when it comes to lapping etc the pack is more strung out,and also reducing the first corner(S) melee .
secondly when it gets properly wet and i mean anglesey 3rd race wet when people are aqua planing at 100 mph plus should we have some kind of control.By this i mean ,for example,designate 2 class a,and 2 class b riders (rain riders)who would signal that the conditions are not suitable for competitive racing on our tyres.This of course would not incur any liability on the riders or club,but would at least be good practice to protect riders.The problem being that we are going out in full wet conditions on tyres that cannot shift that amount of water,and unfortunately people have been seriously hurt and from the outside it doesnt look good,and frustrates a lot of people.
I certainly dont want this to take away from people like jimbo who rode an absolutely legendary race,but to let us race in "normal" wet conditions,as i feel we have no protection from other parties who would have no real interest in voiding a race,when the other groups go out.
I know that we have every right to say that we dont want to race,but there is a certain pressure in a national championship that seems to push us out there,so i thought if we started a debate we may meet some medium that may move the series forward safely,
Finaly i thought i would share an intimate moment from the medical centre at anglesey,
hi dave
hi
which room ?
oh the usual!
oh whats that scar?
thats where i had my heart surgery.
Do you have angina.
No,and i dont have t*ts either,its my shoulder that hurts!!
some of the most embattled docs on the planet,you have to thank them for their dedication.
bring on oulton park (and dry racing !!)
Old 08-Jun-2012, 00:28
500SD

Mood: ready to race
Dave we had more crashes in the dry saterday than we had sunday in the wet . when we were in the collecting area waiting to go out for the last race three bikes crashed one arfter the other and those guys were out on wets .we had one or two who chose not to go out or pulled in thats there choice were not forced to go out in the wet ,besides these are road tyres if you were out on the road and it started raining would you stop and wait for it to dry up hopefully not lol you ride to the conditions you feel safe its just some feel more safer than others just my thought s on the matter
Old 08-Jun-2012, 11:43
500SD

We are doing the same as other race series, that use road tyres and no wets. That does not mean that it is right or wrong. Perhaps should be brought up if we have an end of year meeting like last year?

Mark
Old 08-Jun-2012, 12:26
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ells
Perhaps should be brought up if we have an end of year meeting like last year?

Yes, I'm sure we will have the end-of-year meeting.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Jun-2012, 12:47
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
I think it's crazy that DD doesn't allow the use of wets

quite apart from the safety aspect they are simply amazing fun and promote much better racing which is surely what it's all about.

I havn't turned a wheel in a DD race yet but I can't imagine it being much fun wobbling around on road tyres and looking at the times it would seem to back up what I think.
Old 08-Jun-2012, 12:57
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

Got to say I agree with Kev, we had fewer crashes in the wet than in the dry, so I don't think weather is an issue, better tyres only mean people will go quicker and push harder; ride to the conditions and to what you feel comfortable with. No matter what we try and do or what we put in place, it is a dangerous sport and while we hope it doesn't happen unfortunately every now and again people will get hurt. my two penith
Old 08-Jun-2012, 13:42
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

Wet weather creates its own challenges. Riding in the wet just isnt as simple as putting wet tyres on. Ride to the condtions, find the grip, use different lines, different throttle control the list goes on and on.
Old 08-Jun-2012, 13:46
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
but is it fun racing?

the times suggest that most people are nervously circulating and happy to get back without falling off.

just my opinion but that's not what it's about.

put wets on and you can still get knee down and the confidence and feel is great.

average lap times at the weekend where 2:10 to 2:20 .. I'd expect to drop that to around 1:50 to 1:55 ... 20 seconds a lap is a lot
Old 08-Jun-2012, 14:04
Big Twin

Having been part of the "tyre" debate for a few yeras now I have to say my opinion has changed and totally agree with Kev P.

1. The series is designed to help maintain a low budget with subsidised tyre prices and no need for spare wheels.

2. If it's wet you can choose if you wish to go out or not.

3. There is now an option for the use of wets with the C1 class.

4. I had 5 crashes racing in DD all of them in the dry.

Old 08-Jun-2012, 14:06
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

I'm not sure how putting wets on promotes closer racing, those that are happy in the wet go quick those that aren't don't, changing tyres will not change that.
Also part of what attracted me to this class was the way it had been set up to try and keep a lid on costs, if we are allowed wets, then you have spare wheels, tyre warmers, if you're not in a garage you need a genny. Once we've played with better tyres in the wet and have tyre warmers will we then want to use the latest rubber that's stickier that our current Dunlops all which just do one thing, push the cost up and the quick guys will be even quicker but the rest of us won't be any closer.