Ducati Sporting Club UK
Alarms and Related Security
For the discussion of Alarms, Immobilisers, Trackers, Locks, Ground Anchors and other forms of motorcycle security.

Old 17-Feb-2005, 23:38
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Datatool System 4!!!

I had one of them new Datatool S4 thingies installed today, and by the looks of the manual and the demo I had from the manufacturer it seems to be the dogs danglies!

It's not on the market yet, but here's the score... had a fone call from datatool on monday, they wanted me to road test the S4 before it hit the shops and tell them what I think of it. And no I'm not about to flog one to anybody, I have no business interest with them, just thought someone might like an opinion.

There's plenty of features to it, possibly too many to be honest but you just use the bits you want. There's the usual stuff like passive arming with just immobiliser, full arm with immob/nudge/tilt, ferry mode. Additional features include full disarm, 3 stage sleep mode monitoring bike's battery, 'panic' button, hazard lights, PIN code disarm, secondary trigger switch (i.e. fixed to the seat unit)

Here's the bit I like - Released very soon will be a PIR sensor which is mounted, say, in the corner of the garrage and will remotely trigger the alarm by sending a 'panic mode' signal just by walking in the room! Such a simple idea.

It's got 8 different ringtones too so the neighbours won't be getting much sleep tonight

Saying all that tho, it might turn out to be crap! If it is then I'll let you know... have to play with it lots and report back. Watch this space.

n

[Edited on 27-2-2005 by NBs996]
Old 18-Feb-2005, 10:16
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Lucky bar steward, how did you manage that.

I know people rave about Meta but I had a system 3 on my previous bike and had no problems so had no issues with putting it on the 749 and to date that has been trouble free.

Be good to hear what you think after a bit of use, does sound like a lot of features - could be good or more to go wrong!
Old 18-Feb-2005, 11:10
Ducati in my Blood

Just had a word with datatool about making Crazy Frog one of the alarm tones! They said they'd see what they could do.

Sadly I don't think they were serious, but imagine crazy frog at 120db would be unbeatable!! You'd like that wouldn't you CK.

Brrrriiiiing-ding-ding-ding-ding....
Old 18-Feb-2005, 12:21
Dibble

Quote:
There's the usual stuff like passive arming with hold / nudge / tilt and accumalotor mode. Additional features include cash payout up to £50 and flashing lights ....

n

So they've turned your bike into a fruit machine ....... niiiice .... even AK hasn't thought of this .....

Old 18-Feb-2005, 17:52
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Sounds like a great alarm.... But just more to go wrong !
Old 27-Feb-2005, 21:52
Big Twin

I like the idea of the panic alarm PIR

Until the wife goes out to the freezer......

If you set it to crazy frog, then set off the alarm whilst riding, will it make it sound like a 2 stroke???

[Edited on 27-2-2005 by Mr_S]
Old 27-Feb-2005, 22:09
Ducati in my Blood

I'm having the occasional false alarm from the motion sensor at the moment, but that's being investigated...

Crazy Frog rintone not yet installed - i don't think datatool management approved of my idea!

Once the motion thingy is sorted it should be released, and it'll be a top notch alarm. Comes with the standard 3 year warranty too which hopefully suggests datatool's confidence in the system.
Old 18-Oct-2005, 22:55
Mille

Mood: Meditating
What a pity Datatool are so shite at customer service. I paid for my system 4 alarm in February and last week (October) gave up waiting and bought an Acumen System.

I have telephoned them 9 times in the last five months and each occasion they just tell me Software issues mate!.

http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.c...umen_cat1.html
Old 18-Oct-2005, 23:46
Ducati in my Blood

Gary, that's not my experience of their customer service at all... actually quite the opposite.

They have had software issues with the S4, I reported frequent false alarms from the motion sensor (the led tells you how the alarm was triggered) so they've re-written it and I've had a properly working final version on my bike for about 6 months with no problems at all.

You've obviously gone elsewhere now (and who wouldn't after such a long wait!) but as far as I know the S4 is ready to hit the shops - I'll have a word. It's been delayed because Datatool were keen to make sure the system worked properly. I think they've done a good job with the alarm but advertised it (and took pre-orders) far too early.
Old 21-Oct-2005, 16:10
Mille

Mood: Meditating
Having owned two system 3's I had few issues with the operation

My problem is the fact they took £345 off me in February with the promise that the alarm would be available within 2 to 3 weeks.

Knowing I had paid, they never contacted me to explain the delays. Each time I telephoned them I was made to feel that I was being unreasonable. The software issues may have resulted in delays but for 8 months.....but I find that difficult to believe.

As I understand it, their chief designer left in acrimonious circumstances and they have had problems since.

Strangely the same designer now seems to be working with Acumen, and their (Acumens) latest offering (Cat1 system) seems to be remarkably similar to the system 4 (with the exception of the troublesome adjustable motion sensor) even down to the 16 user definable alarm tones.

As a customer I am not the least bit concerned about the politics within the company. However when I pay hard earned cash for a product I expect to
1) be kept updated and informed about delivery
2) Offered some priority treatment with regard to supplying the product.

If you are saying that you have had a satisfactory alarm system for 6 months, why has it still not been released to customers who have already paid?

Sounds like 'Datatool part of Microsoft Inc' to me