Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 15-Jun-2014, 20:14
Bikes: 1198 S and KTM Superduke R

Mood: Happy as a pig in ....
The meaning of "Ducati Family"

I was truly saddened and disgusted by the attitude of two UK based Ducati dealers on Saturday 14th June.

I had rolled off the ferry from Jersey where I live, arriving at Weymouth Friday night to find my 1198S would not start, it had an electrical fault which allowed me to start it with a battery pack and then it died when it was disconnected. It seemed fine on the way to the ferry, no problems at all. Stuck in Weymouth overnight, I paid a tow truck £120 to get me up to Moto Rapido in Winchester by 8am on Saturday. The boss (I assume) arrived and the first thing he said to me was " you know we don't open for another hour!". I explained my dilemma, that I didn't live in the UK and that I needed to get to Gatwick to meet someone flying in from Norway in the next two or three hours.

He didn't want to know, refused to even consider looking at the bike and said that he was too busy. That's the "Ducati Dealer of The Year" apparently! Wouldn't even take 10 mins to help me, just walked off suggesting I tried WM Snell in Alton. I was stunned.

I reloaded the bike on the flatbed truck and went toward WM Snell, stopping at a fuel station on the way. I phoned them to give them the "heads up" I was on my way and explained my urgent situation, and that my bike had possibly developed an electrical fault. I was truly floored when the Manager there also told me he was not prepared to help me. I asked if he would just take a quick look to assess whether it was just something simple. He refused saying that they were very busy and couldn't spare the 15 minutes I asked for. What Ducati family I asked myself? Is this how you treat a family member in need of help in what to me is as good as a foreign country? Is this what England is like now? People won't even help someone in dire straits?

I didn't know what to do. I had dealt with the guys at Pro V Twins in Godstone before, so gave them a try. I spoke to Pete there who said that they were also very busy but that he understood my situation and would try and see what he could do, though couldn't promise anything as they were flat out. At last someone with a little compassion and understanding. Another £100 odd later and I arrived at Pro V Twins.

Pete immediately took a quick look at my bike, no fuss, no "jobs worth", no grief and within 2 minutes he had diagnosed the problem. The battery had expired, simple as that. He put a new battery in and within 10 minutes my bike was outside the shop running as sweet as a nut.

Now that's what I call a Dealer of the Year!! Bravo Pro V Twins, not only experts but decent human beings too.

All I asked for was a little help, understanding and 10 minutes of their time, shame on you Moto Rapido and WM Snell, clearly you don't understand what it is to be part of the "Ducati Family" !
Old 16-Jun-2014, 00:21
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

After investing so much in a high-end Ducati, I can see why you would be so disappointed!
Old 16-Jun-2014, 10:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Ouch! Just console yourself in that fact that neither dealers made a sale!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit