Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-May-2003, 12:57
Matthew Smith

955 Kit

I'm thinking of having my 916sp beefed up by putting in the Ducati Performance high compression 955 kit.

Has anyone already done the same to their bike?

And what noticable differance did it actually make to the feel of the bike?

What do i need to bare in mind in having this done?

Any replies would be appreciated.
Old 31-May-2003, 13:44
Mille

Mood: Ha ha eat my flailing tyre rubbe
955 kit

Hello newbie, FB here, i've had my 748sps bigbored to 853cc as have several other board members. Although this in no way relates to your 955 option apart from in technique, you'll find that the extra bore liberates up to 10-15 extra horses depending on what other work you have done, ie blueprinting, porting, skimming and gasflowing etc. The rise in torque is the most favorable aspect apart from the power gain it starts lower in the rev range and has a flatter curve which extends way up the rev range. As an example my sps now makes 110bhp and 65ft of torque at around 9000rpm. When it was a 748 it topped out at 102 and 55ft. I've not had the engine blueprinted or gasflowed. One of our board members KJ has had the full blown jobbie done by JHP with all the aformentioned extras, and his is putting out 118bhp ! I'm not to certain of power figures for a 916sp but i'm sure it's around 106. With the big bore you'd be looking at a real rev monster. The only problem I can forsee is where you go to get the work done. We all swear by Sigma, AJ racing and JHP, but there are others. If it were me, i'd give them all a call get some quotes and info and go from there. Sigma's web site has bucket loads of info on all this stuff to, as does the old message board; just do a search, i'm sure alot of old posts relate to 955's and such. Good luck.

Pssst... senoir, Alan at AJ racing in south glos is the cheapest

[Edited on 31-5-2003 by flyingbanana]
Old 31-May-2003, 16:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Having the SP model should mean that you'll not be needing the cases bored out to accept the bigger liners that the big bore requires. If it were a BP then it's an engine strip.
I've just done a lot of work and put a spec. together for my own 853 kit for the 748, and other sources you might want to look at are Ferracci, Vee Twins and JE Pistons.
The one thing I've discovered with the DP stuff is that the crank usually needs balancing due to the pistons being heavier than stock, and this adds to the cost.
I don't know the weights of the 916 pistons, but by using a piston of the same weight, you could negate the change and therefore not need to rebalance the crank.
This saves a lot of time, and time=££'s where this type of work is done.
I do know of a pair of JE 955 pistons sat on a shelf waiting for a home though.
I've not done the maths and groundwork on the conversion you're looking at, but if you'd like any info. your welcome to mail me.
FB's right about the gains. 10-15% everywhere wouldn't be an unreasonable gain to expect.
I'm sure you wouldn't regret it.
As FB said though, JHP, AJ or Sigma would be the kiddies to talk to.
Old 31-May-2003, 19:32
Matthew Smith

Looks like i'll be getting it done sooner than later.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-Jun-2003, 17:48
Mille

LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON
Old 04-Jun-2003, 03:09

My mate has a 96 916SP which had been taken out to 955 before he got it... Apparently the SP after his was built (3 I think) was actually a 955 anyway...

Moving on... He's experienced no problems with his (think the work was done by JHP), and it don't half put some power on the road... 916SP's were the most powerful Ducati produced until the 996R... They had a claimed 131Bhp!!! So his 955 (has also been ported and blueprinted) is putting out an estimated 140 to 145 BHP!!! This can be vouched for by the fact that his mate has an R1 with a full Akrapovic race system that is slower (albeit marginally) in a straight line...

Anyway, if you get it done, it should be a wonderful machine you'll have... Just make sure that wherever you take it does a good job on it, cos that's a special bike you're modifying...
Old 05-Jun-2003, 02:03
Big Twin

What's the impact of a 955 conversion on reliability?

Is there more servicing to do as a result? (top end rebuild every now and then??)
Old 05-Jun-2003, 20:31
Mille

No real assosiated wear

soem components will even get less stressed due to the lower revs more power. Still takes the same looking after though. Careful checks at service time and extra oil changes should be fine. Fingers crossed. Alan built a blinder though so i'n not too worried

Might be getting dyslexic though :P

[Edited on 5-6-2003 by flyingbanana]
Old 05-Jun-2003, 23:52
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
The 916sp gives out 131bhp
The 955sp3 gives out 131bhp
both @ 10,500 rpm.
Old 06-Jun-2003, 11:13
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Big Bore Convershun!

I have good experience with ProTwins @ Godstone, I know its not near you but there very good, might be worth aphone call to Brett, Pete or Rob. Top Bunch of blokes