Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 27-Sep-2006, 15:10
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave996
In which case I'm sure you know the Bee Dive very well then
Yea forgot about that one, Remember it for the Kebab van that parked outside...............
Oh them were the days
Old 27-Sep-2006, 15:25
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
Hello mate, things aren't too bad. By the sounds of it I'll have to give it a go, you know try before you buy. The thing is I don't want to go down the bandit style bike.
Old 27-Sep-2006, 16:20
Big Twin

Yeah...hear what you saying.

Pop over to Premier bikes in Didcot...a KTM dealer that will let you test ride most of the bikes they have (they even had a DR there from memory) ..admittedly they are a bit more pricey than what you are looking for, but they will give you a good idea of what I mean if you just take one down the A34 for a few miles!
Old 27-Sep-2006, 17:39
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
Good thinking batman, could even pop into Trevor Goodall's as well, since he is a Suzuki dealer. Cheers Harv.

Have you still got your SP?
Old 27-Sep-2006, 18:13
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
I've just bought an Africa Twin for exactly that commute (M40, A40, West end). I knew it'd be a bit wide before I bought it, but I want to do some long-distance touring next year and it'll be up to the job. Having done the run a few times now I'd say go with the thinnest bike you can that's still a laugh/comfortable if you want to get there quickly. There's so much traffic that proper hooning only occurs about 20% of the journey. But it's still a million times better than taking the f'ing tube
Old 27-Sep-2006, 23:12
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

I know it's outside your budget but bear with me. Get a test ride on the KTM950 SM. This is the only SM I would recommend for the distance you are intending. They are a fantastic bike witha great engine. I have noticed second hand ones going for considerably less that new (but still out of the budget you describe).

As for takinga crosser or enduro bike and converting. Great for a 25 mile commute max but it will soon become less fun on a day to day basis. I used to use my Husky 410 to communte the 35 miles into Manchester. It was a hoot and the passing traffic on the motorway at 80plus on a crosser (longer gearing obviously) is a laugh - plus the popping wheelies everywhere. But after a while it just becomes a pain (age, I know).

I now keep my enduro bikes for the dirt. Seriously, try the 950 even if you don't intend to buy.
Old 27-Sep-2006, 23:13
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

ps I don't get commission from KTM and I can spell better when I put mind to it - but it's late...............
Old 28-Sep-2006, 10:16
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
I have my KTM stolen last week......I hate commuting now. I never noticed the journey on the SM....too busy grinning.....I did have a spell of comuting 100 miles a day on it for a couple of months and that was no fun at all and really takes it out of the engine....
Old 28-Sep-2006, 11:53
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave996
Have you still got your SP?

Yes...but for how long??? ;-)
Old 28-Sep-2006, 12:58
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth2
I know it's outside your budget but bear with me. Get a test ride on the KTM950 SM. This is the only SM I would recommend for the distance you are intending. They are a fantastic bike witha great engine. I have noticed second hand ones going for considerably less that new (but still out of the budget you describe).

As for takinga crosser or enduro bike and converting. Great for a 25 mile commute max but it will soon become less fun on a day to day basis. I used to use my Husky 410 to communte the 35 miles into Manchester. It was a hoot and the passing traffic on the motorway at 80plus on a crosser (longer gearing obviously) is a laugh - plus the popping wheelies everywhere. But after a while it just becomes a pain (age, I know).

I now keep my enduro bikes for the dirt. Seriously, try the 950 even if you don't intend to buy.

KTM 950SM's are the future!