Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 05-Sep-2013, 13:38
Mille

Desmoduo newbie - maybe

Been wondering about this for a while. Maybe i'm missing the 1098 & need to own another Duke but i seem to be thinking about this on a regular basis lately.

I know it's down to corner speed & keeping the speed up but how likely am I to get above 10mph on a 620 when I weigh 17 stone without the leiderhosen?

Had a little look at the regs & can see it's aimed at keeping costs down, so does that mean most people are running totally stock motors that have just been refreshed?

Any major rule changes likely for next year?
Maybe a rule with a minimum overall weight for rider & bike & everyone under has to carry a haversack of lead shot around?
Old 05-Sep-2013, 14:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
The intention is to keep the rules pretty much as they are

Depending on your build you may be more suited to one bike than another

If you have short body and arms then the Monster is probably a better bet than the Supersport due to the shape at the back of the petrol tank.

Rules don't allow the engines to be tuned so its all about getting the setup right, cam timing and fueling are the main things to concentrate on

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 05-Sep-2013, 14:50
Mille

That’s an interesting way of deciding that I’d not thought of. Short body, long arms (sounding more monkey than human) & 6’-1”. I’ve ridden 90’s 900SS, 916 & 1098 & all felt comfortable never even sat on a monster.
When I’d been looking I’d decided on the monster because looking on Ducati site they seemed to be lighter than 600SS as a road bike & a bit more power on the latest one.

Can you get the SS down to the same weight easily? I was surprised at the weight difference quoted & not fully looked into why & where it is located.

Can you change the valve seat angles at all or just ensure they are well bedded in? Offset woodruff keys for valve timing or do people go for vernier pulleys. I noticed you can change the clutch for a slipper, I can’t remember whether the 600 engine is a wet clutch, do you have to retain that or can you go dry?
Old 08-Sep-2013, 12:21
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
The difference in weight between the ss and the monster is probably just the fairing .. once they are stripped down into race trim they're much of a muchness

timing can be advanced/retarded but that's your lot

get hold of a cheap bike and join the fun .. You'll not regret it
Old 08-Sep-2013, 18:32
Mille

Weight of fairing makes sense.

Not many changes so I suppose it will be a cheap race series to do & fun.

I'm just waiting to see if i'll be riding in the HT paddock next year before jumping into the Desmoduo series as well.
Old 08-Sep-2013, 21:22
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrown

I know it's down to corner speed & keeping the speed up but how likely am I to get above 10mph on a 620 when I weigh 17 stone without the leiderhosen?

I'm not far off 17 stone myself and just won my first race at Brands today, still on a high.
Old 08-Sep-2013, 22:00
Mille

That's good going & good to know you can still do well even when carrying a bit more weight than some of the featherweights.
Old 10-Sep-2013, 10:25
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Quote:
That's good going & good to know you can still do well even when carrying a bit more weight than some of the featherweights.

i'm nearly 16 stone now, I can usually run near the front,, but weight is huge disadvantage, i'm usually the slowest down the straights.

bradders not a light fella and he was propper fast too.
Old 11-Sep-2013, 14:12
Mille

Not expecting to be a front runner, as long as i'm competitve enough to have a few dices with people thru' the race & not get left for dead on the start line I'll be happyish.
Old 12-Sep-2013, 10:58
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Quote:
Not expecting to be a front runner, as long as i'm competitve enough to have a few dices with people thru' the race & not get left for dead on the start line I'll be happyish.

pretty much everyone has someone at about their level and usually someone just ahead to try to catch.. (unless your Dave Woods or Tom Halifax)