Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jul-2006, 09:08
GTL

Mood: Sort of shuffling along .....
Ride height / Preload

I have just been playing around with the rear ride height. What prompted this was getting an MOT were the guy testing saidn "i never riding one this tall before !"

So rear ride height has been reduced by 1.5 turns, and handling seems fine. I have to admit that i fiddled with it a while ago and increased it by about 2.5 turns ... which was probably a little extreme, if not down right uncomfortable. But i blamed that in fitting a single seat unit.

Now here the question

As the ride height is governed by the tie bar, was does altering the rear pre-load do, other than alter sag .....?
Old 24-Jul-2006, 09:36
Big Twin

mmmhhhh...I was going to type a long and complicated reply to this...and then thought sod it LOL

Others have written pages and pages about bike set-up on the web in general for all bikes. Probably would be a lot quicker and make far more sense to do a quick search on google for this.

However, what I would say is that you need to look at the package of adjustment available to you as just that...a package.

Adjusting your ride height as you like it should be the last thing you adjust on the list of things to do...apart from the compression and rebound adjustments.

I think you seem to be implying in your question that the preload will effect the ride height and your right...obviously if you crank up the preload it will effect both the unloaded and loaded sag...so it will make a mess of your ride height settings if you do it after you have set the RH using the tie rod.

Keep it simple and logical...and adjust in a systematic order:

*Determine unloaded (no rider) and loaded (with rider) sag.
*Adjust the front and rear preload so the sag readings fall within the limits you are trying to apply (easily obtainable off the web or this board)
*If you can't (ie you can get the unloaded sag OK, but not the loaded within range) then your springs are incorrect for your weight (maybe too stiff or too soft).
*On a Duke with an eccentric rear hub...adjust hub and chain for optimal positioning within its range (4 or 5 o'clock when viewed from the sprocket side)
*Adjust ride height using the tie bar to achieve a setting you are happy with.
*Adjust the front and rear compression/damping settings to suit your riding style (easy or aggressive) and riding conditions (road or track)..

Enjoy.

Last edited by Harv748 : 24-Jul-2006 at 09:39.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 09:55
GTL

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv748
mmmhhhh...I was going to type a long and complicated reply to this...and then thought sod it LOL

Others have written pages and pages about bike set-up on the web in general for all bikes. Probably would be a lot quicker and make far more sense to do a quick search on google for this.

However, what I would say is that you need to look at the package of adjustment available to you as just that...a package.

Adjusting your ride height as you like it should be the last thing you adjust on the list of things to do...apart from the compression and rebound adjustments.

I think you seem to be implying in your question that the preload will effect the ride height and your right...obviously if you crank up the preload it will effect both the unloaded and loaded sag...so it will make a mess of your ride height settings if you do it after you have set the RH using the tie rod.

Keep it simple and logical...and adjust in a systematic order:

*Determine unloaded (no rider) and loaded (with rider) sag.
*Adjust the front and rear preload so the sag readings fall within the limits you are trying to apply (easily obtainable off the web or this board)
*If you can't (ie you can get the unloaded sag OK, but not the loaded within range) then your springs are incorrect for your weight (maybe too stiff or too soft).
*On a Duke with an eccentric rear hub...adjust hub and chain for optimal positioning within its range (4 or 5 o'clock when viewed from the sprocket side)
*Adjust ride height using the tie bar to achieve a setting you are happy with.
*Adjust the front and rear compression/damping settings to suit your riding style (easy or aggressive) and riding conditions (road or track)..

Enjoy.

Thanks ...

Knew it wouldn't be easy !
Old 24-Jul-2006, 11:28
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
http://www.section8superbike.com/748...suspension.php

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 24-Jul-2006, 23:28
GTL

Thanks